[Mb-civic] Hawking Changes His Mind on Black Holes

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Fri Jul 16 01:23:57 PDT 2004

Hawking Changes His Mind on Black Holes

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-britain-black-holes,0,6308070.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

"Exactly what happens in a black hole -- a region in space where matter is
compressed to such an extent that not even light can escape from its
immense gravitational pull -- has long puzzled scientists."

Well, hehe, I hate to think about it too often, lol, but while we're down
here squabbling like little ants on this speck of dust lost in our
destruction and frustration and desolation inbetween the flashes of
sunlight and laughter, Giant Monsters lurk all around us in outer space
which our scientists sit around and do a heck of a lot of *theorizing*
about sometimes.

 From giant black holes, to quasars, to meteors, to unpredictable
asteroids, the latter of which "our scientists" have said it's probably
"only a matter of time" before A Giant One slams into us, we is sitting in
a very precarious place, where life itself on this tiny planet appears to
be a miracle to begin with.

(A pity it is not valued as such.)

And after thinking about all that for a millisecond, I then remember again
how Man's greed, destruction, etc "down here" makes him look so small and
irreconcilably stupid in comparison to the actual Giant Threats that loom
all around our little speck of Turf.

Which our scientists just sit around and "wonder" at for the most part.

And nothing whatsoever to stop the Coming Asteroid is even in the planning
stages.

And I seriously doubt if Bruce Willis and a bunch of Oil Roughnecks are
going to volunteer to fly up to an asteroid, drill a hole 800 feet in space
suits, plant a nuclear device in it, yell "Yee Haw..!!", and triumphantly
head for home anytime soon.

And then I just stop thinking about it.............

:|

If you're the "praying type", don't just pray for things that you see
around you here all the time.

Humor me.   Now and then look up.

There's a whole nuther Universe there.

And, unfortunately, again, I know, I no longer have to guess about it, that
there is someone on a planet far from Earth that is in turmoil and
destruction 100 times more than we, looking up at the sky This Very Moment
thinking "When are they coming to save us.....?".

Almost all I can think back is "You poor bastard, we can't even save
ourselves, if you're waiting for us to come save you, you're totally
screwed.......".

Have a nice day.

:)

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.