[Mb-civic] West Has Bloodied Hands

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 20 20:34:51 PST 2004

Published on Sunday, December 19, 2004 by the Toronto Sun
West Has Bloodied Hands
by Eric Margolis Who was the first high government official to
authorize use of mustard gas against rebellious Kurdish tribesmen
in Iraq?
If your answer was Saddam Hussein's cousin, the notorious
"Chemical Ali" -- aka Ali Hassan al-Majid -- you're wrong.
The correct answer: Sainted Winston Churchill. As colonial
secretary and secretary for war and air, he authorized the RAF in
the 1920s to routinely use mustard gas against rebellious Kurdish
tribesmen in Iraq and against Pashtun tribes on British India's
northwest frontier.
Iraq's U.S.-installed regime has just announced al-Majid, one of
Saddam's most brutal henchmen, will stand trial next week for war
crimes.
Al-Majid is accused of ordering the 1988 gassing of Kurds at
Halabja that killed over 5,000 civilians. He led the bloody
suppression of Iraq's Shias, killing tens of thousands. These were
the same Shias whom former U.S. president George Bush called to
rebel against Saddam's regime, then sat back and did nothing while
they were crushed.
The Halabja atrocity remains murky. The CIA's former Iraq desk
chief claims Kurds who died at Halabja were killed by cyanide gas,
not nerve gas, as is generally believed.
At the time, Iraq and Iran were locked in the ferocious last battles of
their eight-year war. Halabja was caught between the two armies
that were exchanging salvos of regular and chemical munitions.
Only Iran had cyanide gas. If the CIA official is correct, the Kurds
were accidentally killed by Iran, not Iraq.
But it's also possible al-Majid ordered an attack. Kurds in that region
had rebelled against Iraq and opened the way for invading Iranian
forces.
What's the difference between the U.S. destroying the rebellious
Iraqi city of Fallujah and Saddam destroying rebellious Halabja?
What difference does it make if you're killed by poison gas, artillery
or 2,000-pound bombs?
"Chemical Ali" was a brute of the worst kind in a regime filled with
sadists. I personally experienced the terror of Saddam's sinister
regime over 25 years, culminating in threats to hang me as a spy.
Saddam Hussein and his entourage should face justice. But not in
political show trials just before U.S.-"guided" Iraqi elections nor in
Iraqi kangaroo courts. They should be sent to the UN's war crimes
tribunal in The Hague, where Saddam should be charged with the
greatest crime he committed -- the invasion of Iran, which caused
one million casualties.
Britain, the U.S., Kuwait and Saudi Arabia convinced Iraq to invade
Iran, then covertly supplied Saddam with money, arms, intelligence,
and advisers. Meanwhile, Israel secretly supplied Iran with $5 billion
US in American arms and spare parts while publicly denouncing
Iran for terrorism.
Up to their ears
Who supplied "Chemical Ali" with his mustard and nerve gas? Why,
the West, of course. In late 1990, I discovered four British
technicians in Baghdad who told me they had been "seconded" to
Iraq by Britain's ministry of defence and MI6 intelligence to make
chemical and biological weapons, including anthrax, Q-fever and
plague, at a secret laboratory at Salman Pak.
The Reagan administration and Thatcher government were up to
their ears in backing Iraq's aggression, apparently with the intention
to overthrow Iran's Islamic government and seize its oil. Italy,
Germany, France, South Africa, Belgium, Yugoslavia, Brazil, Chile
and the USSR all aided Saddam's war effort against Iran, which was
even more a victim of naked aggression than was Kuwait in 1991.
I'd argue senior officials of those nations that abetted Saddam's
aggression against Iran and supplied him with chemicals and gas
should also stand trial with Ali and Saddam.
What an irony it is to see U.S. forces in Iraq now behaving with
much the same punitive ferocity as Saddam's army and police --
bombing rebellious cities, arresting thousands, terrorizing innocent
civilians, torturing captives and sending in tanks to crush resistance.
In other words, Saddamism without Saddam. A decade ago, this
column predicted that when the U.S. finally overthrew Saddam, it
would need to find a new Saddam.
Finally, let's not forget that when Saddam's regime committed many
of its worst atrocities against rebellious Kurds and Shiites, it was still
a close ally of Washington and London. The West paid for and
supplied Saddam's bullets, tanks, gas and germs. He was our
regional SOB.
Our hands are very far from clean.
                           © Toronto Sun
                                 ###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez