[Mb-civic] RE: It's unAmerican

Johnson, Carol carol.johnson at scrolltech.com
Wed Dec 8 07:09:55 PST 2004

The business with the largest profit margin ...drug companys.

WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman Bernard Sanders (I-VT) said a new analysis of pharmaceutical industry profit numbers was proof that the industry is continuing to fleece Americans while working to kill major prescription drug legislation in Congress.

  <http://www.house.gov/bernie/graphics/pharmbill_fleece.jpg>

Using the newly released Fortune 500 numbers as raw data, Sanders' comparison shows the top seven pharmaceutical companies took in more in pure profit than the top seven auto companies, the top seven oil companies, the top seven airline companies, and the top seven media companies.

  <http://www.house.gov/bernie/graphics/pharmbill_fleece_2.jpg>

One drug company, Merck, pocketed more in pure profit than all of the airline companies on the Fortune 500 list, and bested the entertainment and construction industries as well. Most significantly, the pharmaceutical's 18.9% profit-to-revenue ratio was, by far, the highest margin of any industry in the nation.

DRUG
DOSE, COUNT

IN
US

IN
CAN

DIFF
in $

DIFF
in %

C Lonazepin
.05 mg., 60 cnt.

$83

$10

$73

- 87%

Tamoxifen
10 mg., 180 cnt.

$241

$34

$207

- 86%

Glucophage
500 mg., 90 cnt.

$64

$14

$50

- 78%

Amitriptyline
25 mg., 90 cnt.

$20

$5

$15

- 74%

Imdur
30 mg., 90 cnt.

$109

$30

$79

- 73%

COMPLETE LIST <http://bernie.house.gov/prescriptions/drugsheet.asp>

Sanders said, "For the last year, the pharmaceutical industry has used scare tactics to try and stop real prescription drug legislation from passing in Congress. One of its most deceitful and shameless claims is that real reform will somehow stifle research and development and make their business unprofitable. However, as these figures show, the industry is pocketing the largest profit margin of any industry in the nation, with these profits far outweighing their spending on research and development. Make no mistake about it, there is a direct connection between the drug companies massive profits and Americans being charged the highest prices for prescription drugs in the world. It is my belief that Congress needs to stop working to protect the billions in drug company profits and start working to protect Americans from being ripped off on the price of their medications."

As the new numbers show, the 12 pharmaceutical companies in the Fortune 500 made $10 billion more than the top 24 motor vehicle industry companies, which includes Ford and GM. At the same time, the pharmaceutical industry has spent millions on television advertisements and lobbying against serious prescription drug legislation.

Fortune 500 Numbers:
Return on Revenues <http://bernie.house.gov/website/leavesite.asp?url=http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fortune500/medians4.html>  | Return on Assets <http://bernie.house.gov/website/leavesite.asp?url=http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fortune500/medians5.html>
Industry Snapshot: Pharmaceuticals <http://bernie.house.gov/website/leavesite.asp?url=http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fortune500/ind21.html>