[Mb-civic] Radioactive Potatoes

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 08:32:21 PDT 2004

Cheeseburger (and radioactive fries?):

Radioactive potatoes?  Maybe.  But we don't really need them to be
radioactive in order to find ourselves mutating at some future point due to
the food we eat.  Consider.

First, Monsanto created rBGH (recombinany bovine growth hormone), which is
given to cows to produce more milk.  Yet rBGH failed numerous studies for
safety: in some studies (way too many, in fact), the cows developed
infections from the rBGH - which, of course, get transferred to the milk
they produce.  And who drinks milk?  Yeah, we may drinks a glass or two, and
put it in our coffee, but it is CHILDREN who drink the most milk.  And since
well over half (by some estimates over 75%) of the cows in the U.S. are fed
rBGH, I think it is safe to say (sadly) that we may be on the road to
causing genetic defects in our children, and our children's children etc.

Then Monsanto created genetically modified corn, which now makes up (by some
estimates) 80%-90% of the corn market.  Yet even if you don't eat a lot of
corn (either fresh (an ironic word now...), canned, etc.), 50% of corn is
turned into high fructose corn syrup, which is in every single flavored
and/or sugared drink on the market, from Coca-Cola and Snapple to
you-name-it.  In fact, according to one statistic, each of consumes about 22
POUNDS of high frustoce corn syrup each year.  Neat, huh?

Finally, Monsanto then created the bT potato, a hybrid which actually
creates its own pesticide.  In other word, the pesticide is actually part of
the potatoes DNA, which means when we eat bT potatoes, we are consuming the
pesticide within.  It is estimated that 75% of all french fries - including
McDonalds, the single largest purchaser of bT potatoes - and 75% of all
potato chips are made with bT potatoes.  So here again, we are consuming
something that may very well be causing slow and gradual, but nevertheless
definite, mutations.

Given all this, I suppose I'd opt for radioactive potatoes: at least I'll be
able to get around better, since I'll glow in the dark!

Peace.