[Mb-civic] Radioactive Potatoes

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Thu Aug 26 01:37:41 PDT 2004

Radioactive Potatoes

You remember the scene in "Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind" where the man
and his wife are sitting at the dinner table with their 3 kids, and they
pass the mashed potatoes to him and he just slowly keeps spooning them onto
his plate artistically until he has a mountain of them, and all his family
has just been staring at him all this time, and he looks up and sees them
staring and says something like "I guess you noticed there's something
strange with dad lately..."  then he pauses and adds "But don't worry, I'm
still dad..."  And then the guy just starts to cry because as he put what
he couldn't figure out "This means something...  This is important..."
..?   Well, this isn't about that.

Radioactive Potatoes in America:

http://www.606mag.com/main.php?id=38

It's in the name. Microwaves use micro-waves of radiation to cook food.
Maybe the Soviet Union was on to something when they banned microwaves in
1976. But we were too preoccupied with the nuclear arms race to notice that
we were eating radioactive potatoes and electrically charged Lean Cuisine.
Ninety percent of American homes have a microwave as a part of its nuclear
unit.

Chernobyl Potatoes After The "Accident":

http://www.chernobyl.info/en/Projects/Igovka/Chernobyl/IgovkaafterChernobyl

To our surprise we understood that there were no other places, I mean
uncontaminated places, and we must live here in Belarus and undertake some
measures to clean it up, to grow vegetables and fruit, we had to learn how
to live in an area contaminated wish radiation. In Kaluga region we were
told that in spring, potatoes from Belarus were bought for sowing and they
were worried about how they would dig up the radioactive potatoes in the
autumn.

Which brings us to the story of sitting talking to a retired bigrig trucker
I know a while back and him telling me how he used to pull right up to
fields somewhere in Nevada or somewhere, where they did all those nuclear
etc tests, and they would just fill his truck up with potatoes grown there,
and he'd drive off somewhere down the long roads of North America and
deliver them and then someone would cook them and eat them, and then
another truck would pull up and they would fill that one.

Oh well, I just always wondered if people ate "Radioactive Potatoes" after
talking to that trucker, and put that in my search engine.

I guess they still do.

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.