[Mb-civic] I Don't Know Why I keep Bitching About 11, 000 Stupid Dead Iraqis...

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Wed Aug 25 01:14:36 PDT 2004

I Don't Know Why I keep Bitching About 11,000 Stupid Dead Iraqis...

http://againstbombing.org/deaths.htm

I think about the 11,000 dead Iraqis, why they died, what they were doing,
who were they, what were their lives like, who were their families, who
loved them, were they good, were they bad, were they terrorists, armed
insurgents, people at weddings, children walking on the street,
grandmothers cooking dinner when the bombs fell or the bullets and missiles
sped to their destiny and snuffed their lives out like they were nothing.

But then I come across stupid web sites like the one above quoting the
Statistics as to what "Sanctions" did to Iraq "back when" before we hit
them this time and how many people died because of Sanctions, and 11,000
dead Iraqis seems almost stupid to even consider as being "large", even
though it is over 3 times the amount of those killed in the Trade Centers.

In the face of how "Sanctions" against Iraq decimated the people and the
huge numbers that perished in Iraq because of them, one wonders why we
would even bother to Occupy Iraq and kill a measly 11,000 when we were
already doing VASTLY better destroying MASSIVE amounts of "Common Iraqis"
just by sitting in D.C. and chatting with our hair stylists.

With no-fly zones in north and south Iraq, and Sanctions crippling and
destroying Vast portions of the population compared to "Now", that only
leaves "The Oil" for any legitimate reason for an invasion, especially in
the face that we were initially primarily and most importantly, at the
time, after some small dude named bin-Laden before we kind of got off on
this Yee-Haw little tangent, LOL....

Shhhh....  Don't mention "Oil" around the American Media, we don't want to
make them nervous.

Oh well, this note just died, as simply as those 11,000 Iraqis and 1,100
Americans that have died purposelessly in an illegal war concocted by assholes.

In an election year.

Sowwy....      :|

Here's that article by some Catholic Bishops.  The "Statistics" are
scary.  They're old.  Maybe you've seen them already.  It fascinates me to
read them, though.  I keep trying to figure out what all these dead Iraqis
did to America other than invade Kuwait.  We found their nut leader in a
hole.  Maybe it's time we give them back their country.  They couldn't
screw it up any more than we have.  Oh, nevermind, I forgot the Oil there
for a second, lol...:

Iraq Death Statistics

IRAQ

The UN-imposed economic sanctions have been in place since the end of the
Gulf War in 1991. While the sanctions have had little effect on the
policies of the Iraqi Government, they have taken a chilling toll on the
civilian population.

During the Gulf War, US-led Coalition forces dropped 88,500 tons of bombs
on Iraq, more than were dropped on Europe during WWII. Targets included
electrical generating plants, water treatment facilities, and sewage
treatment plants. Because of the sanctions, Iraq has been unable to repair
or replace these facilities which are vital to the health of the entire
civilian population. As a result, disease has been rampant.

The Iraqi Ministry of Health estimates that 109,720 persons have died
annually between August 1990 and March 1994 as a direct result of the
sanctions.

 >From The Children are Dying: Reports by UN Food and Agriculture
Organization. Since August 1990, 567,000 children in Iraq have died as a
consequence of the sanctions.

THE LANCET, Volume 346 Number 8988. Saturday December 2, 1995.

After the sanctions, there was a two-fold increase in infant mortality and
a five-fold increase in under-5 mortality.

The LANCET Volume 346, Number 8988. Saturday December 2, 1995.

There are 4,500 children under the age of 5 dying each month from hunger
and disease. In Central/Southern Iraq, 27.5 percent of Iraq's three million
children (some 900,000) are now at risk of acute malnutrition.

UNICEF Report

Due to the hazards of the water supply, government statistical office
figures show 1,819 cases of typhoid fever in 1989 and 24,436 cases in 1994.
Similarly, there were no reported cases of cholera in 1989, but 1,345 cases
in 1994.

 >From "The Children are Dying": Reports by UN Food and Agricultural
Organization.

Fifty percent of rural people have no access to potable water.
Waste-water treatment facilities have stopped functioning in most urban areas.

UN Department of Humanitarian Affairs

In rural areas, only half the people have access to a water supply from a
network, public tap, or well, and only 34 percent have a sanitary type of
latrine.

UNICEF Report

Article 48 of the Geneva Convention reads: It is prohibited to attack,
destroy, remove or render useless objects indispensible to the survival of
the civilian population such as food, livestock, agricultural areas and
drinking water installations.

"Whatever the intent of these sanctions, the means violates the most basic
tenets of Catholic Moral Theology moreover, they violate international law
by targeting civilians and the infrastructure necessary for their existence."

Bishop Thomas Gumbleton & Catholic Bishops

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.