[Mb-civic] religion

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Aug 20 09:30:21 PDT 2004

Cheeseburger, Robin, Richard et al:

Since Civic is primarily a political site, I suspect that this discussion
has already gone on longer than Michael (or anyone else, for that matter)
would like.  Thus - and without "stifling dissent" or any further
commentary - I would like to make what amounts to a "closing statement,"
which sums up my feelings.

I completely understand the various levels of disdain that some of you have
for "organized religions," especially when it is used for purposes other
than those intended by their founders or spiritual leaders, all of whom
(with the possible exception of Mohammed - but even this is not clear) were
peace-loving, compassionate, well-intentioned (I hate that phrase...)
people.

And as noted in my e-mails, I do not disagree that almost all religions
have, to one degree or another - and sometimes to a dangerously large
degree - been "hijacked" by leaders with less-than-honorable motives and
intentions, from simple self-preservation to outright corruption.  I believe
I have made my case against mainstream Christianity - both Catholic and
Protestant - clear and unmistakable.

As Cheeseburger notes, however, there are still some "true Christians" (the
very term I use) who do follow the "essence" of what Christianity was meant
to be (as opposed to what it has largely become): who live, or try to live,
truly Christ-like lives; who see through and reject (much of) the leadership
of the mainstream, as well as the so-called "Christian Right"; who do not
engage in judgment or condemnation; who do not try to ram their faith down
anyone else's throat (though they may "offer" the Word to others in a
loving, patient and humble way) or to change the politico-economic system to
serve Scriptural ends (i.e., who believe in the separationof church and
state); and who basically "get" what Jesus was, did, said and meant.

I also cannot disagree that, unfortunately, the "true Christians" among us
are a small group compared to: those who cannot or will not see that they
are being misled by their leaders; those who are simply "lemmings"
(actually, I suppose the terminology would be "sheep") who don't know any
better, and follow blindly; and those who consciously and willfully use
Scripture to serve narrow views that are unloving, unforgiving and
ultimately un-Christian.

However, this is the very heart of my position.  While all of you - from the
most "virulent" to the most understanding - certainly have cause to be
"angry" with mainstream and "majority" Christianity vis-a-vis both its
hijacking of the spiritual essence of the faith and its temporal attempts to
remove the separation of church and state and impose a quasi-theocracy, it
seems to me that you would serve the discourse (and your individual
relationships with people) better by channeling your anger and frustration
into loving and patient explanation and "re-teaching" those who either
"don't get it" or willfully ignore "it."

That is, when you posit arguments with a "broad brush," you ignore - and
hurt - the "true Christians" who are "listening," because (as I've said ad
nauseum) you simply lump ALL Christians into a neat little box labeled
"conservative, break-down-the-wall-between-church-and-state,
you're-all-going-to-hell believers."  And even if the number of "true
Christians" is only 10% (though I believe it's probably larger), you
alienate those people by making sweeping generalizations about Christianity.

Needless to say, not all of you have the expertise or knowledge to undertake
such "re-teaching."  However, it is clear to me that even the most virulent
among you "see" some of the obvious non- and un-Christian practices of the
majority of Christians, simply from a basic understanding of Jesus' life and
ministry.  It is not a matter of arguing "theology" - since, as noted, not
all of you have the requisite knowledge to do so - but rather to point out
the most obvious "hypocrisies" in the lives of so many who call themselves
"Christians."  This can be done no matter how little Scriptural knowledge
one has; it is ultimately "common sense" based on what all of you seem to
understand about Christianity and what it was "intended" to be - at least
with respect to how Christians are called to conduct themselves as people
(i.e., separate and apart from issues like sin, grace, repentance and "final
judgment").

As long as there are "true Christians" out there (and, as noted, I believe
they are greater in number than most people think, though they are
admittedly "overwhelmed" by mainstream Christians), taking "broad brush" and
generalized positions would seem simply to continue the "vicious cycle" of
an "us vs. them" mentality, and does little to serve the discourse.

You are entitled to your anger and frustration.  But don't you think that
channeling that anger and frustration into rational and reasonable
discourse - including, where necessary, correction - is a better approach
than simply continuing the inflammatory cycle of mutual disdain?  Indeed,
even if "true Christians" are a small percentage of Christians, the
so-called "Christian Right" (conservative Christians) is also a minority.
In this regard, the vast majority - the lemmings, the lost, etc. - would
seem to deserve your pity and sympathy (and, of course, correction) rather
than your disdain.

I am not saying you should simply accept the "status quo," and not "take on"
the conservative Christian movement at every politico-economic turn.  I am
saying that it would serve YOU better - as reasonable, intelligent people -
to avoid sweeping generalizations, to offer clear and rational correction
(based on whatever understanding you have) to the "lost" majority, and, most
importantly, to ENGAGE those Christians who would side with you if you did
not lump them together with all the others.

Peace.