[Mb-civic] Where Uncle Cheeseburger lives - #1

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Sat Aug 7 03:06:52 PDT 2004

Where Uncle Cheeseburger lives - #1

Poteet is about 30 miles from me.......  What's happenin' in your corner of
the world.....?

POTEET - In this South Texas town known for strawberry festival and country
living, two young boys and their parents were shot and killed Friday in a
rural home on a quiet dirt road.

Police have given few answers about the estranged couple who were fighting
in the house Friday morning.

They won't say whether it was Robert Treviño, 29, or Rebecca Contreras, 27,
or perhaps someone else who pulled a gun and started shooting.

They won't say who killed the couple's two boys — Nathan, 8, and Masion, 3.
And they won't say if a surviving parent then committed suicide.

"It's an ongoing investigation," Poteet Police Chief Frank Leal said. "As
to how it occurred, who shot who, that's still part of the investigation."

But privately, authorities told family members a domestic fight had
escalated to murder-suicide, said Contreras' aunt, Mari Cisnero.

A neighbor called 911 Friday morning and police arrived shortly after 10:25
a.m. Cisnero said a relative had been outside and heard a shouting match
inside the couple's home.

It sounded like things were being thrown against walls, and then the
relative heard gun shots, Cisnero said.

The older boy, Nathan, was dead inside the home when authorities arrived.
His brother was transported by San Antonio AirLife helicopter to University
Hospital, where he died after emergency workers tried to revive him for
about 30 minutes.

Cisnero described the boys as "good, playful kids."

"And that's what stuns me, because I had just seen them yesterday, outside
playing," she said Friday near a yellow strip of police tape. "How could
this happen?"

Contreras lived by other family members on a property surrounded by lush
fields. Cisnero said her niece recently split from Treviño and wanted to
start a new life.

"She was tired of the abuse," Cisnero said. "He had a very cold heart."
Cisnero said Contreras had reported past abuse to police. Leal declined to
say if his officers had responded to other disturbances at the house.
Atascosa court records don't show any recent criminal charges or
restraining orders filed against Treviño. There is no marriage license on
file for the couple in Atascosa or Bexar counties, although Leal described
them as married.
Treviño was convicted of a misdemeanor assault charge in 1994. Two years
later, he was convicted of a felony theft charge. He admitted buying stolen
computers and property as part of a theft scheme set up by buddies and
relatives, records show.

Treviño's friend, Donovan Garcia, acknowledged the couple had broken up,
but he said Treviño was a good father.

"I used to be his coach in high school and Little League," Garcia said. "He
was the kind of dad that went out of his way to do things with his kids."

Garcia said Treviño graduated from Poteet High School in 1993. Contreras
worked as a vendor and stocker at H-E-B in Pleasanton. Co-workers and store
officials declined comment.

News of the shootings spread quickly through the towns surrounding Poteet,
which celebrates its self-designated title as the "Strawberry Capital of
Texas" with an annual festival each April.

"We're always shocked when something like that happens," said Linda
Branton, 54, a secretary at First Baptist Church in Jourdanton. "But it's
becoming so common nowadays. It happens so often."

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.