[Mb-hair] For Those in the NYC area: another word on my new play:

RJ Mac nycrjmac at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 05:19:27 PST 2006

Hi folks:

Just wanted to put in another plug for my new play at
Theater for the New City which opens this Thursday.
Very proud of this piece of work, and how my director
has staged it-- and the great cast and production
team, etc.
The play, "Follies of Grandeur," is about the Ivar
Theater, which in the 70s, was one of the worlds
strangest burlesk palaces-- loosely phrased.
Information on the Ivar can be seen at this website,
otherwise devoted to the music of Tom Waits, an
occasional Ivar patron:
http://www.keeslau.com/TomWaitsSupplement/Topography/ivar.htm

Considering the joy given to me by casts and companies
of HAIR, I'd be very honored to return my portion of
wonder to you.

Ross MacLean

==========================
press release and link:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/show.cfm/show/117991

“Follies of Grandeur”at Theater for the New City
Ressurects Ivar Theater, L.A.’s Infamous Burlesk House

NEW YORK, NY – Hollywood’s Ivar Theater once featured
a round-the-clock show advertising “The Most Beautiful
Girls in the World” at “America’s Home of Burlesk.”
Patrons recall the Ivar as “a sticky-floored dump” and
“a chamber of desperation, a mausoleum for souls -- on
and off the runway.”

Lewd and notorious in its day, the Ivar inspired
lyrics in the songs of Tom Waites, and photographer
Garry Winogrand’s images of the Ivar strippers have
been displayed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

 “Follies of Grandeur” follows the career path of
Melody, a teenage drifter who aspires to greatness on
the Ivar’s runway.
A dramatic memoir alternately cold and compassionate,
“Follies of Grandeur” by Ross MacLean makes its
premiere at Theater for the New City from February 2
to February 19, 2006, playing Thursday, Friday and
Saturdays at 8:00 p.m., Sundays at 3:00.

Playwright Ross MacLean, a fixture of L.A.’s theater
scene in the early to late 70’s, worked with many L.A.
stages, including La Mama Hollywood, the Los Angeles
Actor’s Theater and the Deja Vu Coffeehouse and the
Odyssey.  A Manhattan resident since 1980, his later
works have been seen at Denver’s Changing Scene and in
the Humana Festival at Actor’s Theater of Louisville.
–He was also the Ivar’s stage manager and spotlight
operator throughout 1977 and 1978.

Directing is Mark Finley, award-winning director of
Doric Wilson’s “A Perfect Relationship,” as well as
“Eisenstein’s Monster” and the Fringe-festival hit
“Penny Pennyworth,” which had an extended run at the
Duplex.  He has also directed for the Abington
Theater, Emerging Artists and Native Aliens.  As a
playwright, his works have been produced at Where
Eagles Dare theater in New York and the Source in
Washington D.C.  Mark is the Artistic Director for
TOSOS II.

The cast features Daryl Brown, Melissa Center, Brian
Hoover, Kevin Kelleher, Jolie Meshbesher, Mary Louise
Mooney, Bobbi Owens, McGregor Wright, and Jennifer
Dominguez as Melody.  Set design by Michael Muccio,
lights by Igor Goldin.
Presented by Theater for the New City, Crystal Field,
Executive Director, 155 First Avenue, New York City.
Tickets available online at Theatermania.com, or
through the box office at 212 254-1109.