[Mb-hair] Benefit featuring Hair Alumni in NYC January 31

The Hair Archives dayton3 at rcn.com
Thu Jan 5 09:47:19 PST 2006

Hi folks -

Attached below is some information just in from Mike Blaxill
about a benefit he is putting together for the victims of the
October 8th earthquake in the Kashmir region of Pakistan and
Northern India, and for which he is bringing together Hair
alumni for a set of Hair songs. Below, in his invitation, is a
list of alumni who are performing, and he would love to have
you join them. If you have any questions, or are interested
please contact Mike directly, at the numbers and email
address listed in his letter below.

Happy new year to you all! May 2006 bring you all much love,
laughter, peace, health and perhaps another chance to see each
other like we did last September!
Love,
Nina

Mike Blaxill wrote:

Greetings..

..And a Happy New Year to you! For the past few
years I've been involved in putting on benefit
concerts for liberal causes and have recently
teamed with Music For America ("providing the
cultural capital and political savvy for the new
generation to reinvent progressive politics")
plus top local NYC indie promoter Todd P.
(TimeOut NY calls him a "One-man Scenemaker" -
more info below) and peace group "We the World"
to produce music shows that inspire young people
to be politically active.

When I attended the amazing Hair reunion at
LaMama last September with my wife Debbie
Andrews, all of us there were witness to the
incredible sound of Hair 2005!! This inspired me
to plan an event that would "feature" members of
the original cast and run of the Broadway HAiR,
plus members of major 60's and 70's productions,
performing an hour-long set of songs from the
show...and to have members from the original band
playing.  We've scheduled a benefit in NYC for
Tuesday January 31st and are inviting you to come
sing!!

The concert we have planeed for Jan 31st will be
a benefit for victims of the Oct 8th earthquake
in the Kashmir region of Pakistan and Northern
India - proceeds will go to an earthquake relief
organization very much on the ground and hands on
in the area.  We'll also be asking for peace and
cultural understanding in the Kashmir region.

The rest of the line-up is being decided as we
speak. Promoter Todd P. has contacts with top
draw artists in the city, and the fact that HAiR
is involved is making it easy to book...everyone
wants to play with you!! Early invites have gone
out to Norah Jones, Gogol Bordello and Radio
4...NYC indie rock/pop meets Hair originals!!

So far Hair cast members signed up to perform
are:

Heather Mac Rae (Sheila in LA, Miami, and Bway
runs)
Donnie Burks (original Broadway cast)
Debbie Andrews (Crissy in Detroit, Washington, & Broadway runs)
Warren Chiasson (original Broadway percussionist)
Zenobia Conkerite (Dionne in LA and Broadway runs)
Marjorie Lipari (original Broadway cast)
Natalie Mosco (original Broadway cast)
Robert I. Rubinsky (original Broadway cast)
Dale Soules (Jeannie in Broadway run)

Hair author Jim Rado is helping out with vocal
arrangements and getting in touch with cast
members.  Once we have a list of performers we'll
rehearse either mid to late Monday the 30th or
Tues afternoon on the day of.

Because the event is a benefit and we want to
give maximum proceeds to charity - and since we
expect a sell-out crowd and a lot of Hair folks!
- we're humbly asking Hair cast who can to
purchase the $15 tickets.  If you're coming from
out of town we can help you try to find an
inexpensive place to stay.

It's going to be a magical night of peace and
creativity and we hope you can make it!
PEACE
-Mike Blaxill
917-327-6376 -cell (daytime)
212-874-4958 -home (evening)
mblaxill at yahoo.com

 A recent item in TimeOut NY re promoter Todd P

TIMEOUT NY
Todd P: One-man Scenemaker

It's a cliche among hardworking folks to claim
that they do it "for the love". But rock show
promoter Todd Patrick must be doing it for the
love -- he certainly doesn't do it for the cash.
Better known as Todd P, the 29 year old Dallas
native has been putting on the scrappiest (read:
most fun and laid-back) events in town since he
moved here in 2001, and for nearly all of them,
he gives 100 percent of the door receipts to the
bands.  Such is his reputation--not to mention
the ever changing rotation of out-of-the-way
clubs he books in--that many local acts no longer
bother saying where the gig is. They'll simply
say "We're playing a Todd P show," and those in
the know understand to check his website
(www.toddpnyc.com).  While Patrick's DIY activity
has been centered in Greenpoint of late--with
shows in small Nassau Avenue bars and advance
tickets sold at the neighborhood shop Eat
Records--he hopes to open his own live-music
space, the Llano Estacado, in Williamsburg later
this year.  "I don't want to do shows seven
nights a week," says Patrick, who's naming the
space after the West Texas region where the
desert meets the plains.  "And I don't want to
compete with full-time rock venues.  If you do
that, you have to do things like find the next
Bravery before they get big. I have no interest
in that stuff."-- Mike Wolf

PRESS RELEASE
Music for America, Todd P, and We, The World
Present
___________________________

A Benefit for the Victims of the Earthquake in
Pakistan and India

featuring performances by members of the original
cast of HAIR and
other musical and cultural performances.
___________________________

Tuesday January 31, 2006
doors @ 6:30PM

@ CODA CLUB
34 East 34th St

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - January 3rd, 2006

Press Contact - Mike Blaxill <mblaxill at yahoo.com>

- 917 327-6376

On October 8th, 2005, the Kashmir region of
Pakistan and India was hit by a massive
earthquake - killing 73,000 people and leaving
approximately 3 million  people homeless.

The initial response to the devastating
earthquake was tremendous as people,
organizations and governments around the world
opened their hearts and their wallets for the
survivors. Even the heavily armed border in
Kashmir was opened for aid to cross in the wake
of the
tragedy.

And yet, 3 months later, 2.5 million people are
still homeless and facing starvation as the
impending harsh mountain winter draws near.
Already, reports of refugee camps overwhelmed by
snow and scarce provisions are headlining the
international media.

In the spirit of world peace, understanding
between cultures, reconciliation and mutual
respect, Mike Blaxill of Music for America
(MusicForAmerica.org), independent music promoter
Todd P (ToddPNYC.com), and Rick Ulfik of We, The
World (WeTheWorld.org) are organizing a concert
event to benefit victims of  this devastating
October 8th earthquake in Pakistan and Northern
India. In addition to raising awareness, the
funds raised by this benefit will help a number
of charities working for direct aid on the ground
in the affected regions.

The organisers plan this special concert event as
the first of a series that will combine
celebration, information  and action - to raise
awareness and to provide aid for the challenging
future that lies ahead.

The organizers are excited to announce that the
benefit, scheduled for January 31, will feature
members (see profiles below) of the original
Broadway cast and original Broadway run of the
"American Tribal-Love Rock Musical" HAIR -
singing Aquarius, Hair, I Got Life, Easy To Be
Hard, Three-Five-Zero-Zero, Frank Mills, Where Do
I Go, Let the Sunshine In and other hits from the
show that changed America.

The owners of Coda Club on 34 East 34th St have
generously offered their stage for a night that
will feature, in addition to the reunited HAIR
cast, musicians and other cultural performers
representing the spirit of the affected regions,
as well as informative speakers, and some of the
top new rock and noise bands in the city, curated
by avant rock organiser Todd P.

Advance tickets will be available. The ticket
price and sales locations will be announced at a
later date.

For more information please contact

Mike Blaxill <mblaxill at yahoo.com> 917 327-6376

Todd Patrick <toddp at toddpnyc.com> 718 501-3101

Rick Ulfik <RickUlfik at WeTheWorld.org> 212
867-0846

Members of the HAIR original cast that will be
appearing:

Donnie Burks (original Broadway cast, Hud)
Debbie Andrews (Crissy in original Broadway run)
Warren Chiasson (original Broadway percussionist)
Zenobia Conkerite (original Broadway run)
Marjorie Lipari (original Broadway cast)
Natalie Mosco (original Broadway cast)
Robert I. Rubinsky (original Broadway cast)
Dale Soules (Jeannie in original Broadway run)

- HEATHER MACRAE
Heather MacRae played the lead role of Sheila in
the original LA and Broadway runs of Hair singing
"Easy to be Hard" and "Good Morning Starshine".

Heather appeared in the role of Dr Charlotte in
the award winning musical "Falsettos", and
regularly performs her one woman show "Songs for
My Father" - a tribute to her father Gordon
MacRae - throughout the country.

- DEBBIE ANDREWS
At the age of 17 played the role of Crissy in the
original Broadway run of Hair singing "Frank
Mills". She's also received a National Endowment
for the Arts Jazz Grant for piano, and plays and
sings in some of the finest piano rooms in New
York City such as the Oak Room at the Plaza and
the Waldorf-Astoria.

She is a founding member and co-writer of the
pop/rock group Gladshot - The band's songs have
been featured on the WB network and they've
opened for such artists as Michelle Shocked, Head
Automatica, and Corey Harris.

- ZENOBIA CONKERITE
Zenobia made her Broadway and theater career
debut at the age of 18 in the Hair tribe, singing
"What a Piece of Work is Man" and later went on
to perform as one of the original "Weather Girls"
featured on the hit 70s single "It's Raining
Men".

Among her many talents are jingle writer, film
scorer, theater director, music producer and
author.  In 2001, Zenobia  received three Grammy
nominations for her debut solo CD, "Home".