[Mb-hair] Darren McGavin

venuetheatre at juno.com venuetheatre at juno.com
Sun Feb 26 18:46:22 PST 2006

February 26, 2006
It was November, 1968, when I found myself in Los Angeles after a US Tour
of the National Theatre of the Deaf. Being my first time away from
Western New York, I was seduced by the warm weather, the palm trees, and
the "feel" of Southern California just before Thanksgiving.
Despite the advise of my mentor, who offered me a job on a little film
shooting in Connecticut where he was working with some director named
Arthur Penn (the film was "Alice’s Restaurant"), I stayed in LA,
auditioning for theatre and films, not really knowing what I was doing. I
auditioned for the Journeyman Program at the Mark Taper Forum, and was
told I needed more "experience," something they told young actresses with
little training but the guts to try. The Director, however, was very nice
to me, and suggested that I go to the Aquarius Theatre and try out for
that play. "It’s about Hippies," he said, "and you know they are always
dropping out." I laughed, he smiled and said he knew someone there and
made a phone call for me. "Can you answer phones," he asked? "Oh yes," I
replied.
That afternoon I found myself at the Aquarius Theatre answering phones
for someone who was sick. "Kragen, Smothers and Fritz," I learned rather
quickly, were the producers of "HAiR," a show a friend in NYC had told me
to see, but I was always too busy. I saw the show for the first time that
night, and every night thereafter for a week and a half. I got to meet
the actors, Gerry and Jim, Ben Vereen, Kay Cole, Randy Brooks, Susan
Morse, Jimmy Carozza, Carole Miller, and of course Barbara Moore at the
snack bar.... What a joy, what a family.
Danny in the office became a kind of mentor to me there, taking me under
his wing and showing me how to make the press book; he was the PR guy
upstairs. He made sure I had a job. I was very grateful. I had a Honda
scooter and had a little apartment down in Korea Town (not the nicest
part of town but it was clean.)
Opening night came, and Danny told me to just go into the press booth and
watch the show from there. I was excited and dressed up in my very best
hippie attire: Wide velour pants, a vest and a ton of beads, little
braids in my hair. One of the kids said he would get me into the party.
I was waiting quietly there, when the door opened and this very handsome
man came in. "Oh," he said, sort of surprised. "I didn't think anyone
would be in here."
"I was told I could watch the show from here," I said. "OK by me," he
replied. "I was just looking for a place away from the madness down
there, where I could smoke," as he lit up a joint.
At that point I had not had that many encounters with pot, and choked
when I smoked. But he was really nice and we talked while he smoked. He
asked if I knew who he was, and I said I was sorry but I did not, "but I
guess you must be somebody, right?" I said. "Yes," he replied with a
smile and a laugh. I was pretty embarrassed. A few moments later the door
opened again and it was a guard saying that we could not be in the press
booth, that it was off limits.
As we went toward the stairs, he asked if I had a ticket. I said "No,"
and he said that he had an extra and that I should come sit with him.
Turned out those seats were in the front row and I was in Heaven. Later,
I didn't have to wait for the cast, I went to the Party on his arm. When
someone from the press asked who I was, I stupidly laughed and said "No
one!" I must have been on a contact high. I still did not know who my
benefactor was.
That night, he introduced me to Bertrand Castelli, and asked him if they
were auditioning. He had heard me singing during the show and told
Bertrand that I had a good voice. The next day I auditioned for Bertrand,
and was hired to go to Mexico.
Anyway, that is how I first met Darren McGavin. He was so handsome and I
remember him fondly. I am so sad to hear of his passing.  He was a good
friend, a good actor, and a friend of HAiR.
Corinne

** Venue Theatre Collective and  Actors Studio  is a not for profit
501(c)(3) Corporation, founded in 1992.
ALL MAIL TO THE OFFICE:  5124 Ninth Avenue N, St Petersburg, FL 33710.
THE STUDIO is in MAINLANDS PLAZA, 9125 US 19 N, Pinellas Park (at
Mainlands Blvd.) 1 mi N of Gandy/Park Blvd.  727-822-6194  cell
727-656-8525
Visit our web site at www.VenueActorStudio.org