[Mb-hair] The Brigadooning, of My Mind...?

Jim Burns jameshburns at webtv.net
Sat Feb 4 20:24:21 PST 2006

Well, I think one should probably amend one's misinformation, even if
it's from one of those mini-op-eds I forward, from my radio, or print
stuff.

I stopped into Sam's, on 45th Street, the other night, and it turns out
they're NOT being forced to close right away. They, along with Puleo's
and Frankie and Johnny's have been told they'll be shuttering in
anywhere from six months, to two years...

It was just Barrymore's that exited, forever, the other evening.

(And that just goes to show me what happens whenever I listen to a
Broadway waiter...)

:-)

But still sad, and strange, that half a block that has existed for well
beyond decades, won't.

And equally odd, that no one still seems to know, what's going up
there...

Jim Burns
____

"When Runyon's Shadows, Shadow"
The Loss of a Few Great Broadway Joints

Perhaps it was being at the sensational, record-breaking performance of
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, that has put me in a nostalgic mood, but I don't
think there's ever anything foolish about celebrating the past,
particularly if
it has a pleasant foothold, on the future.

Last week saw the closing of McHales, on 46th at 8th, a tavern famous
for food that was as plentiful, and good, as it was inexpensive--and a
haven for actors and stagehands.

By the end of the month, we will have lost several other Broadway
institutions, to the vagaries of "redevelopment."

Barrymore's on 45th, is the only place I can think of where actors are
still known to be-- consciously--partying at 3 AM, while doubling for
the rest of the day as a meeting place for the neigborhood's endless
stream of theatre folk, tourists, and "locals."

The loss of that street's Frankie and Johnny's (part of which goes back
to Damon Runyon's speakeasy days), Sam's, and Puleo's, is no less sad,
for their patrons.

Progress, generally, isn't supposed to mean the end of something that
already works. And I can't help but think that at some point in the
future, a theme park entrepeneur will decide to construct a "Broadway
block," of themed bars, and eateries.

It's fascinating that for the not too many-remaining moments, such a
magic corridor, already exists.

And secret labyrinths beneath our city's streets aside, I will miss
these oases, of the night.

James H. Burns
January, 2006