[Mb-hair] HAiR Alert - Grant High School

John Zuehlke jpzuehlke at prodigy.net
Sat Apr 29 06:18:39 PDT 2006

Hi tribe.

Just found out that HAiR is being performed at my local high school for
three days only!

Ulysses S. Grant High School

13000 Oxnard Boulevard

Van Nuys, California

The school is located in the North-East corner of the Los Angeles Valley
(Community) College campus area, and the auditorium/multi-purpose room is
accessible from the east side of the campus from a small service driveway
that is located just west of-, and parallel to-, Coldwater Canyon Boulevard.
The service drive may be entered from Oxnard Boulevard.

Opened Friday, April 28, 2006 at 7pm

Remaining performances:

Saturday, April 29, 2006 at 3pm and 7pm

Sunday, April 30, 2006 at 3pm and 7pm

All performances are $5.00, and tickets may be purchased at the auditorium
door.

Hebe and I ran out to the opening performance, and we really enjoyed
ourselves. Since this event is mostly unpublicized (I only found out about
it - on the day of its opening - from a notice in a small, directly-mailed,
community newsletter) I believe that the audience consisted mostly of the
parents and siblings of the tribe and the tribe's fellow students. This made
for a much younger audience than I usually see at HAiR shows.

The production is directed by a STUDENT (who also played Jeanie) and was
backed by an excellent band - or should I say, small orchestra since there
were 8 members and the only synthesizer to be seen was at the sound mixing
table!

The school's (sole?) drama teacher delivered a cautionary disclaimer before
the start of the show, explaining that, because it was a high-school troop,
the nude scene(s) had been cut along with a lot of the other sensitive
material. He did announce that it still contained very controversial
material that would surely shock and offend members of the audience, but
that any further cuts would have rendered the show meaningless. He announced
that there would be a discussion forum following the performance to try to
address audience concerns with such material being presented in a high
school.

With these caveats presented, the show began.

The first thing that I noticed was the singing. Although several of the
soloists had some vocal difficulties with the score's demands (a problem
exacerbated by major problems with the sound-reinforcement equipment), the
ensemble songs were performed wonderfully, with excellent feeling, tonality,
and extremely crisp diction. The 16 year old black girl who played Chrissy
delivered a "Frank Mills" that ranks among the best renditions that I have
heard (plus she could act!). Despite obvious opening-night jitters and some
quite slow moments caused by forgotten cues and a scene blocking that had
most of the cast running off stage only to have to run back on to deliver
their lines, the show really was HAiR.

The youthful audience appeared to have little problem understanding the show
even though it had been cut into a two hour long one-act by eliminating
almost all of the script's text! They sang almost all of the songs, cutting,
I believe, only "Hippie Life", "Abie Baby", "The Bed", and "Don't Put It
Down" and they appeared not to have altered/softened any lyrics like they
did in the recent Orange County college production. Incidentally, "Don't Put
It Down" was listed to be performed on the program. The cutting of the whole
Abraham Lincoln and following scenes did disappoint me as I was especially
waiting to see how The Ulysses S. Grant number would go over in a school
named after him.

The discussion after the show was quite interesting. Even with multiple
attempts to prod the audience into voicing their offence at the material
(even the tribe tried to evoke some response) no one said anything negative!
I know that this was not quite the case, since there was a major gasp from
the audience followed by a couple of audience members calling out ("Bye,
bye" and "You're Outta' Here". if I recall correctly) when Berger slapped
Sheila's face. I have never heard such a loud gasp, let alone any vocal
catcall, from an audience ever before. Curiously, the face slap was
performed so gently it could even have been mistaken for a caress!
Interesting how audience sensibilities have changed over the years!