[Mb-hair] Re- About the Russian Night

John Zuehlke jpzuehlke at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 10 02:53:04 PDT 2006

Thank you Michael.  Hebe and I really enjoyed the Russian production of HAiR
even though we, like you, didn't understand any of the Russian.

The band was really excellent, and the performances quite good.
The Director, Stas Namin, was a most gracious host, and everyone with us had
a blast talking with the Russian Tribe!  I really felt sorry for their
prospects for fame and fortune in Russia (nil by their analysis), and the
fact that evidently many of them have completely bought into the Hollywood
Dream of stardom.

You made a most astute observation about the venue being designed for motion
picture viewing rather than for live presentations.  We were fortunate to be
able to get front-row seats in the side section, because the very
high-backed chairs made it most difficult for Hebe to see anyone on stage
over a chair row in front of her.

I was a little bothered when they performed "Frank Mills" after "Where Do I
Go?", but then, when I discovered that they had cut HAiR into a one-act, I
agreed with the song's placement.  (It's placement is not crucial to the
development of the plot, and it, being a relatively slow ballad, helped as a
buffer that kept "Where Do I Go?" from being clobbered by the rest of the
show.  I was disappointed that so many of my favorite songs/segments had
been cut, i.e.:  The whole Abraham Lincoln/Black Power number, "Don't Put It
Down,"  "My Conviction,"  "The Bed," etc.  Is this the way it plays in
Moscow, or were these cuts made to shorten the US performance?

But, all in all, it ROCKED!

Blessed be with peace, love, freedom, and happiness!
John