[Mb-hair] Oh Great God of Power

Sean Courtney dauber at banana-and-louie.org
Sat Apr 1 18:19:54 PST 2006

On 04/01/2006, Little Birdie wrote:

> Yes, the song Oh Great God of Power is in the official script, and
> always  has been. Hair has more songs than the average musical of its
> day did, and  so a number of songs were not included on the original
> cast album, in order  to allow it to conform to what a standard album
> length was in those days.  Some of the songs not included were recorded
> and then cut, reappearing on  the reissue of the OBC than came out -
> when? Dauber? Was it 88?

Yup -- 1988 indeed!

> Anyway,  other songs, like Oh Great God of
> Power, were never recorded originally, so  weren't on the reissue. It
> was only finally officially recorded for  DisinHAIRited.
> It was included in some foreign recordings, and we have it on the
> recordings  of the live recordings that we have in the archives.

It's on the Fresh Hair album. Of course, it's not on the CD that combines
the 1968 London album and Fresh Hair.

What's interesting is that it seems to me that most productions do "Oh Great
God Of Power" in 2/4 time. The Fresh Hair version is stretched into common
time; I think it works much better that way. Very powerful.

Glad to see I'm not the only one lamenting the overlooking of OGGOP. :)
dauber at banana-and-louie.org
 * ICQ: 28677921 * YIM: dau_ber * AIM: ddaauubbeerr
blog: http://scattered-frog.blogspot.com