[Mb-hair] advanced hairology

richard haase hotprojects at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 26 19:16:29 PDT 2005

For Example; here is somethign you have to rework
in my subjective opinion to make it work today

okay you got walking in space
it has to be basically as it was
but it has to make sense viscerally for todays audience
remember the average is under 45

here are your problems
given the number should still be about drugs etc
( i think the idea of the nude scene there works but
i wouldnt want to lose the finale at the end of act one nude scene so i wouldnt opt for that )

but here are your problems;

you have to explain all this drama about smoking a joint

now maybe in the future things have gotten real conservative
?
are they doing hard drugs?
thats dangerous
grass is still considered cool
but although there is an explosion in hard drug use
the romance of it is gone
people doing hard drugs are not seen as cool etc
may turn off a lot of your audience
if you have them basing etc

so what do you do about that?
because you have to have the tension
of the moment
doors locked etc
but obviously today no one is locking doors to smoke a joint
and we dont want our heros shooting up or doing crack or whatever
although i understand there are hard drug illusions in the score etc

so what do you do?
to keep the tension in the moment>?
and not make it laughable to todays audience
eg you want the same effect exactly the original scene
had
but how do you do that in a way that is viscerally resonant to todays audience in the same way that walking in space was viscerally resonant in the 60s, 70s and even very early 80s

stuff like that i feel must be attended to

i dont have an answer for that one yet
its a mental problem i play with
i know i would work it out in rehearsal
but i dont have an answer to that one