[Mb-hair] Updating HAIR

James Pappaconstantine georgeberger69 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 17:43:10 PDT 2005

Spreading the groovy revolution.. spread.. spread.. SPREAD!!!  HA ha Leo, I forgot about that reveiwer.. I remember getting all excited when the reviews came in and I remember that one was one of my favorotes because obviously the guy did not, "get it." And I remember when handing out the pills and the names from the tams book ended and I still had more pills to hand out I gave one in his name each night following.. Tom something wasn't it? God I miss Hair just thinking about it.. Anyway,, Well stated... JIM

Leo <peacefreak at metrocast.net> wrote:I've read all the posts regarding the updating of HAIR and specifically
those updates associated with the London production and so I figured I'd
toss in my headset.
Mind you, I was gonna resist the temptation to join in this topic as it's
obviously a hot button but, as several of you have pointed out, it's only my
opinion but my opinion is as valid and real to me as yours is to you. End
of prologue!
Let's see, I was born in 1949 so I was at a ripe age to experience the 60s.
Funny thing is I remember doing all these things during that time but
whenever I try to put them in chronological order it doesn't add up!! Musta
been the drugs but man I believe the adage, "If you remember the 60s, you
weren't there." Also, I never had the bread to see the original production
of HAIR or any of the first run productions. I owned the OBC (when my mom,
God rest her, heard Sodomy the lp got disposed of! And of course I remember
the hubbub surrounding HAIR and in particular the mention of full frontal
nudity for the first time on Broadway. I didn't have the bread cuz I was too
busy panhandling and selling blood & plasma and weed just to have enough
money to party on and to share the rent with 13 other freaks. I had no spare
bucks!
I am another one of those HAIR purists. Oh sure, I can see minor changes or
decisions such as, "Do I use the movie scene or not?", does Hud really have
to be male, will I use Hippie Life, etc. But any major changes rip the heart
and soul out of HAIR for me. A Playstation!! HIVIP tatooed on Woof's chest?!
And I really didn't like a recent production when they started with Sheila
in 2005 reading a scrapbook. I understand the concept but I didn't like it.
No, no, no.
The issues of HAIR are what gives it it's driving force. Peace, love,
freedom, understanding, sexuality and anti war sentiment are all concepts
which any generation should and could relate to. And although HAIR is very
time specific, it still works. No one ever messed with Bye Bye Birdie or
Grease - 2 other shows which are time specific. Like HAIR, they stand up
well in the period in which they were written.
Is it a history lesson? I know I certainly educated the Tribe on the
backdrop of the 60s so they could get the vibe of it.I showed them vintage
footage of riots, concerts, Viet Nam, and of course a huge dose of music.
But, in as much as HAIR is a "part" of history, it is the message which is
timeless. I had a reviewer write a critique of one of our productions and it
started, "HAIR is a museum piece and belongs in the archives." Right away I
knew where this cat was coming from. And he went on to say that he didn't
like the piece when it initially came out. Surprise! Is Shakespeare a museum
piece?
One final thought, and this is specific to the London production, can you
imagine being a youngster sitting in the audience watching that production?
Or a first timer sitting in the audience? What if those people didn't like
the show at all and believed that THAT was what HAIR was all about! We have
lost them as HAIR fans. What a travesty that would be. The important thing
is to keep pumping out productions of HAIR that are thoughful and honest in
their approach. We must keep that spirit alive and continue to spread the
groovy revolution among the ages.

PEACE,
Leo