[Mb-hair] HAIR-London TIMES review

richard haase hotprojects at nyc.rr.com
Fri Sep 23 14:03:11 PDT 2005

michael you obviously have nothing to do with this
i am the one who trumpets the need for updating
but but
dramaturgical pt
i am not saying to change the tams witmark script
but in the places where improvising and topicality are indicated by the
authors
the same way in initials that lbj took the irt
became tricky dick took the irt

one just now fills in the contemporary reference
similarly the long bridge in aint got no etc

for the record corresponding / talking regularly with all the hair
originals; i can state unequivocally as the one who does the arguing on the
pro updating side; all of the original principals michael butler, jimmy
rado, galt macdermot and tom ohorgan have all been absolute classicists
where hair is concerned and all have been steadfast against new changes in
the script

all have been staunch traditionalists
so anyone who says any of them
were behind any such innovation is not telling the truth

i can vouch for that
welcome to show business

and michael your handling of the bdwy production
was sublime obviously
it launched the first one billion dollar world rights package
that is what a producer is supposed to do
achieve fiscal success
there just arent anymore qualifying factors

also you have the unique talent i felt in working with you
that you have great artistic talent as a producer
which is one of your unique qualities as a producer
( eg not all producers do )

as far as i know
jimmy was the one who relented and encouraged the kid at least sporadically
i take some responsibility for that
because i was at the time pouring docket after docket
to rado on a daily basis
in support of drastically updating the mis en scene
if not the script
so obviously my name will be mud
on this one
lol and not lol

i still say im right
in the 1980 production we did update
we did it well
it did work
and even rado went crazy for it
came 10x ( said it was the best production ever ( which it was not ;
obviously the bdwy 68 production was )  ; i have multiple witnesses )

( this refers to the performances in the home space harry streeps 399 seat
the brook on west 18th street off fifth 1980 - 1981 )

not to one terrible performance in the 3000 seat loeb student center

anyway the debate continues
which is good

but the question of the hour is

why is frankel taking so long to make the baby?

????????

R in the project pit