[Mb-hair] A Question...

Jim Burns jameshburns at webtv.net
Tue Sep 20 10:29:00 PDT 2005

This came up, last night, amongst a few friends, and we really didn't
have the answer!

Are there any books, or novels, that you would recommend, for giving a
good history, and/or feel, for the Greenwich Village of the mid/late
'60s?

(Bob Dylan's recent memoir has an interesting look at the time a bit
before then....)

Also, has there ever been a decent take on the hippie scene of the
mid/late '60s, on the East Coast?

(There's a couple of good books on the "Summer of Love" in 1967, but
they center on San Francisco...)

And, just an interesting note I'm reminded of, with my mentioning
Dylan...  A tourist I reently ran into wanted to check out the Cafe Wha,
at Minetta Lane, one of the birthplaces of the folk movement, in
America. I had to advise her...  As many of you probably know, what's
called the Cafe Wha, now, isn't. Wha not? The original Cafe Wha is
actually the restaurant next door, with a comedy club, in the basement!
(I'm blanking on the name, but it's the neat place that has the chalk
boards on the table, that you can draw on--and good burgers!)  (And, for
whatever strange reasons this all happened, what's calling itself Cafe
Wha, is also a comedy club!)

Best, Jim