[Mb-hair] FW: Katrina victim foster dogs

Sherwin Ross sherwin at aceross.com
Sat Sep 17 14:40:46 PDT 2005

Dear Tribe,

Hello everyone and THANK YOU ALL for your support in this effort.   We need
help!  We need fosters and volunteers to help with this operation!

First off please check out the blog we made for the Rescue for Refugees
effort.  Please visit it regularly to get updates on what is happening -
<http://rescueforruffugees.blogspot.com/>
http://rescueforruffugees.blogspot.com/

There are 650 dogs at the Lamar Dixie Shelter in Louisiana that need homes.
(hopefully temporary if they can be reunited with their families.) There are
10 flights anticipated over the next 60 days to various locations around the
country. They have had 2 vet screenings, are cleared for travel and all will
be traveling with a health and vaccination certificate.  There is an
immediate need to get these dogs out of the area so the 1000 dogs being
brought in daily have a place to go.

As you may know, the first shipment of dogs arrived to San Diego and to San
Marin yesterday.  Check out yesterday's CNN archives for an article on the
rescue initiative.  The dogs were mostly medium to large in size - labs,
retrievers and hound and hound mixes.  Very clean and healthy.  All came
with vaccination records and health certificates.

As of this morning 2 more shipments of animals are tentatively scheduled to
leave Louisiana.  One on Wed. and one on Thurs.  Once we have confirmation,
we will post it on the blog.

Because these dogs are hurricane victims, they will need 30 day fosters -
they are not adoptable now.  We must give owners a chance to claim them.
(I'm finding out more details on how logistically and financially we get
them back to the owners if and when they are claimed and will send details
to you ASAP).   If they are not claimed after the 30 day hold, they are then
adoptable.

Please forward this email on and let me know if you know anyone who is
interested in helping out.
We are also in need of supplies, especially crates for the animals so if you
have any you can donate please let us know. Contact meredith at shalei.com if
you are interested in volunteering or fostering.

------ End of Forwarded Message

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are intended
only for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and
may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential and exempt
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message,
or any attachment, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the original sender or the Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw
Pittman Help Desk at Tel: 800-477-0770 x4860 immediately by telephone or by
return E-mail and delete this message, along with any attachments, from your
computer. Thank you.

Internal Revenue Service regulations generally provide that, for the purpose
of avoiding federal tax penalties, a taxpayer may rely only on formal
written advice meeting specific requirements. Any tax advice in this message
does not meet those requirements. Accordingly, any such tax advice was not
intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, for the purpose of
avoiding federal tax penalties that may be imposed on you or for the purpose
of promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related
matters.