[Mb-hair] September 10th. 2005

James Pappaconstantine georgeberger69 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 12 16:20:52 PDT 2005

Finding the Lamama theatre wasn't too bad, although we did have our hitches.. First off our train from the hotel (the 6 train) wasn't running downtown from the first two places we tried.. so we had to first take it uptown 1 stop, switch sides and then go downtown.  Upon getting to the Aston stop. It took me a minute to get my bearings and then realized where we were. So we walked down St. Marks, where I had to stop at Trash and Vaudville (one of my favorite NYC haunts.) Anyway.. after spilling some cash out of my pocket for a way cool jacket.. I asked someone there for directions to 74a East 4th. they gave us directions and we were off. We found the street fine and made the corner.. of course the building before it had the numbers 80 and 78 on the door but in reverse order, looking like 74 would be across the street.. so we crossed the street and realized that the numbers there were even higher.. cross the street again and as approaching the venue we were welcomed by Papi, in
  his
 crazy New Orleanes pimp daddy hat. We got our tix and took the elevator upstairs with a handful of fellow freaks. Upstairs, I signed the guest book, grabbed a playbill and signed the giant Hair poster. Talked briefly with Micheal Butler, Nina and Michael Harris and had many sign a book I had picked up. At first I felt a little weird, Not in the, "hey I'm being judged kinda way." but more in the, "Hey these guys have a past, that though I understand, I am not really a part of., at times I felt like maybe I was invading a conversation or a meeting of the minds that I had no part of invading." But that feeling was long lost as more people showed up. We were all hanging out, in the lobby way, talking, drinking and eating candy from a basket. When we were asked to go into the main room.. We did and found a food spread, tables and plenty of bleacher space. Michael Harris took the reins and did an excellent job emceeing it. I had only met him that night and for only a mere few minu
 tes but
 I imediatly liked him, he gave off a really freindly open vibe. (not unlike any of the other Hair peeps.) But he truelly shined on the stage. The video performaces were great, "The Carson footage was my fave.. and the Ragne, got milk ad... ha ha " but it was all wonderful. then the small speaches were also very humorous and allowed each of us, who might not have worked with these people prior, to see a little of what makes these fellow cyber tribesmen and chicks tick. My fororite part of the whole night as it seems was most of the attendees.. was the singing.. Something about singing those songs with a bunch of people that just tears down any walls or fears that you might have once had.. I mentioned early in the night.. how I felt a bit nervous, because I wasn't one of the late 60's or early 70's actors. But after the singing.. It was like... OK.. I am welcomed into this tribe.. (and I know I was always welcomed, and that the fears were just inside me.. but.. I just found it
  funny
 and nice that through song.. how fears and worries can just fade away. ) Anyway.. I met a lot of people, had many sign my book, And as I look at it today.. some of the signatures.. I can not read.. ha ha but it doesn't matter.. When I first heard about this night, I wanted to go because A; it was my birthday and I thought.. what a cool way of celebrating it. (Didn't even realize it was also Ragne's, That was a cool piece of info.) and B: because I was really hoping Ted Nelley and Dagmar would be there.. Both people I admire deeply for the work they do in the fields they do them in. Neither were there but it didn't matter. (Not that they wern't missed by me and those who actually know them) but it didn't matter because I had the best time meeting all you new people I met, and to those I didn't meet I do wish to meet you next time. NY was only a 6 1/2 hour trip for me, but if there is another, I don't care how far away.. I will come, hold your hands and sing the warming songs
 from
 Hair with you anyday.. If I haven't said it before Thank you for welcoming me into this Hair family. Thank you all.. and I appologize for my spelling, run on setences and whatever else I screwed up in my ramblings. Peace, Love.. and lets do this again.. Nina, Michael, WMH, Debbie and whomever else helped make this thing happen.. let me know next time, and if I can do anything.. I would love to lend a hand.

JIM