[Mb-hair] Fury, Rage, Embarrassed, Ashamed

RJ Mac nycrjmac at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 06:04:19 PDT 2005

One of your sharpest entries.
I hope you've sent it to every major paper.

Most important, the closing question: Where is the
opposition?????  A few years back, the nation went
into impassioned uproar over a stained dress.  Where's
that passion Now?

I've seen here, during the Republican Covention, and
from reports from those who attended the the WTO
demonstrations a few years back, how police and
military effectively neuter and silence opposition.

And to be fair, the protesters I saw and dealt with
were not very sharp either.  A messy outcry voicing
essentially "Bush is Bad" isn't going to affect much
forward motion.

Very different from my ACT UP days, where the
demonstrations were skilled and focused and produced
results.  (On the other hand, as much as we saved and
extended lives of PWA's, at the end of the story you
might say we gave free promotion and boost to the
pharmaceutical industries... So there was corporate
profit to be had.  Maybe that's why ACT UP was allowed
to succeed.)

So who has a vision?  Focus?  Who's a credible
opponent?  I don't have a clue.

rj