[Mb-hair] A Great, Acting Story...

Jim Burns jameshburns at webtv.net
Thu Nov 17 20:27:56 PST 2005

Thinking about the opening of WOMEN IN WHITE, tonight, I'm reminded of a
great story, something I guess I learned, about a year-and-a-half
ago....

I was doing some consulting with the York, strictly voluntary stuff, for
some marketing and promotional ideas, which are starting to come to
fruition, now. (Those Yorksters were kind enough to mention me in a
couple of their PLAYBILLS, which was kind of fun.)

Scott Delacruz, who was then helping to run things there, and he's a
terrific dynamo, had told me about a friend of his, from just a couple
of years before, in college, Jill Paice...

Now, many of Scott's Indiana college crowd seem to be a talented bunch.
A while back, a bunch of them, now here in New York, formed Toy Box
Theatre, and they've done some nice, and challenging, stuff.

And Jill:

Just out of college, she was cast as the young lead, in the sit-down,
Las Vegas production of MAMA MIA.

Pretty good for your first gig, right?

After about a year, starring in the play, she decided she wanted to give
New York a go.
Somehow, Andrew Lloyed Webber had heard about this gal... And with just
about all of London, and really the world, to choose from, he arranged,
to audition her, for the West End Production, of WOMAN IN WHITE.

And she got the gig.

I think all this happened, right after Scott introduced me to Paice at
some opening night party, shortly after she had left Las Vegas. And when
we hung out, she was lovely, and funny, and bright.

So, as she's having her first Broadway opening night--

I just think it's worth reflecting that fairy tales still do happen.

And for all actors--

Young, or, ahem, perhaps a little older--

That next, or first, remarkable opportunity, could be a phone call away.

And you'll just never know, unless you keep trying.

Because you'll never know, just who's paying attention...!

Jim Burns