[Mb-hair] Murphy's Law Bridgeport CT / NJ Vietnam Vets

Sibley Smith sjsmith at njvvmf.org
Tue May 24 13:47:53 PDT 2005

Hey, my Dauber Man!

Great description of the NJ Vietnam Veterans' Memorial! Sorry I missed you that day (but I had a pretty damn good excuse, eh?).  Really, you painted a nice picture of the Memorial.  If you were a high school senior, you could've vied for one of two $2,500 scholarships we give each year for the best essay on one's visit to the NJVVM.  We'll announce this year's on Memorial Day.  Following that, I'd wager the essays will be posted on our website www.njvvmf.org (notice how I snuck that plug in?).

Really, I think I'm gonna have to hire you to be a volunteer tour guide for the Memorial (well, actually, that role is usually filled by real, in-the-flesh, bona-fide Vietnam Veterans, but, in a pinch, guys like you and I can do an adequate job of at least conveying our reverance for the place and the individuals it honors).

But speaking of my work at the Memorial, that's where I am right now as I type this, which means I'm having to steal time to read and reply to all these wonderful past posts to the MB-HAIR List -- which explains why I've been tardy to do so.  Just hold on, everybody.  I'll get a round tuit as soon as I can.

But, quickly, YES, the whole Bridgeport-HAIR weekend adventure was nothing but great!  I'm grateful to all who were a part of it, including all who were a part of it by the good vibes they sent our way, wishing they could be there, too.  I think you WERE there, too, -- at least in spirit, 'cause there were some good good spirits floating around that little corner of the globe for that whole weekend (IMHO).

Okay, they're locking up the joint, so I've gotta get the hell outta Dodge!  So, see ya laters Alligators!

Tioga Jioga

==============

Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:38:27 -0700
From: Sean Courtney <dauber at banana-and-louie.org>

[ ... ]  And of course I had to smack myself in the head...my wife and I checked out the
NJ Vietnam Veterans Memorial - good God, what a site...very moving and
extremely educational; seriously, I could spend days on end there just reading
and learning...if you're within, oh, about twenty thousand miles of Holmdel,
NJ, it's a must-visit site...

Cool arrangement, too...366 panels with the names of NJ folks who died in
Vietnam, one for each day of the year. Nine panels have no names on them; and
one of those blank panels made me wish I had been born a day earlier, as nobody
(from NJ) died on October 2. And they have an exhibit of letters home from those
who were in the midst of fighting. Some of them didn't make it back...very
sad...it's like manic depression -- you'll see a letter from someone who may
have been killed a week after writing the letter, but right next to it you
might see a letter from someone who did make it home safely...

And of course when Lisa asked "Hey, is Tioga Joe working today?" they said
naaah, he was in last weekend. I totally forgot he was in Bridgeport!