[Mb-hair] RE: No Black Actors

swiggard at comcast.net swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Jun 25 08:33:44 PDT 2005

Hi there Katie -

I have been reading along in the background, but thought I would weigh in
here.  First off, you should know that I am a HAIR Purist, with a strong
preference for the version performed on Broadway in the Day (I played
Claude in the Mercury National Tour 1971-72). I am 53 now, and I suppose
turning curmudgeonish, but HAIR is very precious to me because it changed
my life utterly and permanently.

One of the moist extraordinary things about HAIR - then and now - is the
sheer number of social and political issues it brings up. It was the first,
and in some ways remains the only Broadway show ever to touch on these
things.  Most obviously there is the antiwar message brought on by the
Vietnam quagmire - the central struggle in the show.  But HAIR was also the
first musiocal to talk about racism, racial stereotypes and black militancy
as a solution, with the black militant character presented as a real person
with emotions who explodes the stereotypes he plays with.  Not to mention
the other messages of HAIR:  the Save the Earth message, sexual liberation,
gay and bisexual liberation, gender liberation, and dope as a Good Thing in
the right circumstances and a Bad Thing in others (Claude's Bad Trip, the
crazy Speed Freak who knocks up Jeanie,etc.).

There is nothing better as an evening of theater than a good production of
HAIR.  There are few things more painful to watch than a bad production of
HAIR, or a show that tries to do HAIR and falls short.  Which is not to say
that there is not room in my HAIR world for alternative ways of putting the
show on - but it must stun, amaze, overwhelm, and above all Rock Da House.
Or else it ain't HAIR.

I think HAIR without real, live African American actors is not HAIR. While
I feel for you in the difficulty of casting, I think failing to get real
African American people into the cast is a Deal Breaker that should lead to
cancellation.  I do not mean to sound sadistic or hard-hearted here. I know
about challenges and rising above them, which unforunately is something
fate has handed you when you came up with the idea to put the show on.  I
wish you a thrilling ride and a life changing experience, which as you know
HAIR was for many of us on this list. I wish you a real HAIR, a dazzling
HAIR, done right.  We will all help in whatever way we can on this list and
in real life.

We're rooting for you.  Keep trying.  You can do this.

Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness -
Bill