[Mb-hair] Re: new member/Bridgeport show

Sibley Smith sjsmith at njvvmf.org
Fri Jun 24 10:43:25 PDT 2005

Dear Tribe,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, ... I know, I know, ... You've just been sitting on pins and needles waiting for my take on the Bridgeport HAIR Happening.  Smoke has finally cleared and dust has finally settled from the whirlwind of May-thru-mid-June activity at the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans' Memorial (10th Birthday was May 7).

Well, here I go:

May 21, 2005.  Destination, Bridgeport, Connecticut, for the Downtown Cabaret Theatre (DCT) production of HAIR.

New Jersey Transit rail from Asbury Park ("Greetings from Asbury Park," you Bruce Springsteen fans) to New York-Penn Station.  Rendezvous there with our dear Sally Shafer (OBC HAIR business office and, of late, from the Space Shuttle's launching pad back yard in Florida).  Nothing but good times from that point on.  The HAIR Gods were certainly smiling upon us.  Our trip was certainly a "Trip."

We ambled from NY-Penn to Grand Central Station, taking in a street fair/festival and a Turkish-American Pride parade.  And you couldn't have asked for a better weather day!  Actually, there was rain on and off all through that weekend, but it always seemed to happen while we were inside--inside a train, inside a building.  There was definitely something magical going on.

Trained from NYC to Bridgeport.  I'd pre-arranged via e-mail with HAIR-Head Ross MacLean (whom I'd never met) for a HAIR ticket exchange in Bridgeport (I'd told him about a good train to take there-- the one we were on).  Sally and I leave the train and stop for a moment to get our bearings and plot our course from my map to get to the hotel and to the DCT, when a rather dapper gent with a silver moustache and a tan sport coat passes us with a glance and heads on up the street before us.  I say to Sally, "You know, I'd peg that guy to be a Vietnam veteran.  He's got the look."  Sally says, "You know, I think that might be Ross!"

"Okay, here's the plan," says I, "We'll walk fast to catch up with him, as as we approach him, we'll chat about what we're doing and I say "HAIR" loud enough for him to hear.  If he's Ross (or any other DCT-destined HAIR Head), he'll react.  Well, it worked, and that's how we met Ross.  BTW, Ross, you've gotta share your story.  Tribe, we're talking here about one hard-core HAIR fan (particularly L.A. & Hawaii, right, Ross?) from way way back!  I was honored to be in his company.

So, we drop off stuff at the hotel, then Ross and I head out to find the DCT to get the tickets.  We're on the right street at about the right place but can't seem to spot a theatre.  But we do spot this old hippy--long, long, straight silver hair and wearing a T-shirt with a cartoon picture on the front of a stoned guru seated in the lotus position (or something like that).  So, I says to Ross, loud enough for the hippy to hear, "Now, THIS looks like a guy who oughta know where HAIR is!"

Well, yeah, I was right.  He smiled and pointed us to the theatre entrance behind him.  Yeah, he knew.  Although we didn't know it at the time, this was our own Happy Hippy HAIR Director, Leo Lunser!

So, skipping along in time, Sally and I head for the show.  Wow!  How cool was that?  All these folks who'd only met by e-mail on Michael Butler's HAIR List wre grabbing each other and hugging and making a big scene in front of all these Bridgeportians and moms and dads of the cast members.  One big Love Fest!

Little Birdie, Nina!  Yeah, made a bee line to me to greet me!  And Trevor's there (oh, Trevor, who cares about you?  I got to hug Nina! : )  And Leo!  "Damn, Leo!  I shoulda known that was you!"  And, of course, the King, Michael Butler, was there, holding court.  Michael, such a thrill to see you again.  Oh, and I got to meet lovely Natalie.  And folks were pointed out to me, like Robert Camuto and Michael Arien (sorry we never got to chat much, gents, but there IS September, eh?).  And Bill Swiggard!  And Sherwin.  Hey, what an asset he is to the HAIR family, eh? (Thanks for the geat pics, BTW).  And Barbara Siomos made it in time to catch the end of the show.  People had to settle us down, so they could put on the show!

Well, Sally and I did our part to settle down and enjoy the show.  We made nice to the cast moms and dads sitting around us.  Had them point out theire children in the cast.  Then we poured ourselves some extra extra dry Vodka Martinis (Smirnoff, the BLUE label)--(you know, we had to alter our states of conscious somehow!  Leo forgot the THC! : )

Oh, yeah, the show!  Excellent.  Excellent.  Powerful voices.  A good look to all --their characterizations and their believability.  Nice set, too.  No complaints.  Okay, maybe one.  A minor one.  'Though it was a major one to some others.  Yeah, Claude's insane giggles.  Continuously.  A directing call.  There could be some merit to it, if it was played just right -- like using it to freak-out tourists in Central Park or to emphasize how whacked out Claude thinks his mom is by her cutting out those "bloody King Korn stamps" and what not.  But, other than that, I enjoyed it thoroughly.  Enough to sneak back in and catch the second half of the second show after we'd had our reunion soiree at the pub nearby.  And, oh Man, it was tough not to just sing along with the songs full voiced.  Yeah, this Tribe tripped my trigger.  Great job.  Kudos.  And I dug their having a Black Berger!  A little chuckle from him as he sings, "I'm Rinso White."  It worked.

Yeah, the Old HAIR Tribe party at that pub was fantastic!  Hey, I even got to squeeze into a photo with Meredith!  And Natalie.  And Sally.  And anybody else I could seduce for a moment or two! : )  And rapped for a long time with Bill and gained some audience from Michael B.  Michael with his red HAIR-logo jacket and Sherwin with his HAIR-log jean jacket, snapping pictures, being friendly, making everyone feel welcome and at home.  And Sally was snapping pictures and likewise making everybody feel special.  Yeah, I cannot imagine this not being accurate: "A fun time was had by all."  I didn't really get to schmooze with everybody, but I hope to make up for that at LaMaMa in September.

Then the next day, Sally and I trained back to NYC (It rained while we rode and cleared up by the time we hit Grand Central--interior shots of which, BTW, I've seen in the trailer for that new animated flick, "Madagascar").  Sally's a super tour guide.  Took me to Central Park to the "Alice in Wonderland" sculpture.  Great place to veg out and people watch.  A gaggle of colorfully-clad young hippies climbed all over it to pose for a picture not at all unlike when the HAIR Tribe poses for the "Margaret Mead" Mom.  Sally asked and learned they were all acting students.  Prime meat for future HAIR productions!  You know, that infinity symbol above the "I" in "HAIR" is certainly appropriate.  I think there will be live productions of HAIR forever!

And Sally pointed out the red-tailed hawks nest at the top of one of the tall apartment buildings that abuts Central Park.  And we went to see the famous clock at the Central Park Zoo, where the animal sculptures march around on the hour (another landmark that shows up in "Madagascar").

We had ourselves some strong and hot Bloody Marys that afternoon to toast one magical, way cool, HAIRy weekend before we went our separate ways--me, back to the Jersey Shore, and Sally, back to the Florida Shore.

Thanks to all who were a part my experience that weekend.  Glad I could Trip with you and I look forward to doing it again!

And I've been inspired to sorta do it again, starting tomorrow.  Heading South to Tioga, Louisiana.  See the mom and siblings (my B-day's Sunday), but more funnerly, going to see a college production of Jesus Christ Superstar at the same college where, 30 years ago, I was a JCS "Apostle" ("...Always hoped that I'd be an Apostle...) in a production there (same place where I was a Tribe member in HAIR).  And there's going to be a sort of impromptu reunion of us old cast and crew members (like we had in Bridgeport).  If I have half the amount of fun I had with the Bridgeport HAIR trip, I'll have plenty of fun for this JCS trip.

Later, Dudes and Dudettes (I'm supposed to be working.  Shhhh!  Don't tell!),
PEACE,
Tioga Joe
===============================
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:56:05 -0400
From: "Leo" <peacefreak at metrocast.net>

Meredith, it was a pleasure seeing you at the Bridgeport festivities. There
was so much going on and so many people to rap with that I never had an
opportunity to officially say "hello" and introduce myself. That's the
reality of being immersed in a group of people who exude so much love,
friendship, and excitement. I'm sure I'll chat with ya at La Mama; in the
meantime, welcome and I'm glad you find your way here with Jeff's guidance.
I'm still riding the vibe of this past weekend and it's a beautiful thing.

PEACE,
Leo