[Mb-hair] !!!!!!!ARGH

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:07:57 PDT 2005

Katie wrote:
>I'm going again tomorrow to the black community centres and housing
>projects to put up signs with "people of colour especially encouraged to
>reply".

Use this opportunity to talk with people, to explain your dilemma and ask
advice on how to solve it. There must be a way to get black people in your
community involved, to find black performers who want to help break down the
barriers that exist in your community.

Personally, I think it would be hard to do Hair with no people of color in
the cast. While masks have long been an interesting and symbolic theatrical
device, I have trouble imagining any circumstance under which it would be OK
to have a caucasian person singing Colored Spade. When sung by and African
American that song is a vicious indictment of racism, but I fear that the
interpretations possible if sung by a caucasian performer would be
different. I know that some productions, desperate at not being able to cast
Hud and Dionne with black performers, have resorted to casting them with
white actors, saying that the character was a white person sensitive to the
black cause.  However, I have had several black people tell me that they
would find this offensive, and I am also unsure of how this sensitivity
would be made clear to an audience. Some productions cut the number (along
with White Boys) if they can't cast people of color. But this always saddens
me as the theme of inter racial relations is a strong one in Hair, and I
hate to lose it. Some productions cast these roles with people of other
ethnicities. I have seen this be moderately successful with the song White
Boys, but less so with the role of Hud, which is written to be played by a
black man.

It is sad how often this situation comes up in contemporary productions
outside of major urban areas. It would be wonderful to brainstorm this
issue, as it comes up so regularly, and create a base of thought to share
with people when this comes up for them.

Nina

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html