[Mb-hair] !!!!!!!ARGH

Katie Kasben katiekasben at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:41:48 PDT 2005

Maybe I'm too idealistic, but I've been told so many times, "don't even
bother" when trying to include the black community in my (or any) project.

I don't want to seem like the good intentioned white girl who is trying to
"fix" black people.
I'm so frustrated.

AM I trying to include the black community as a "them"?  no one black came
to audition, and the gospel choir people I've approached won't do it because
of the language and content...sigh.

The black community doesn't want anything to do with being part of the
tribe.
We have absolutely no black middle class; and there's a huge rift in the
black community as well.

How do I extend my hand in friendship without it being seen as patronizing
or condescending, or exploitative?

I mean, I can't force anyone to be in my cast.

troubled,

ALOHA NUI LOA!