[Mb-hair] Kent State (tangent: the flower power of George (Hibiscus) Harris, 10-22-67)

Sibley Smith sjsmith at njvvmf.org
Tue Jun 21 12:46:56 PDT 2005

Hey, I found another bibliographical reference for seeing published Bernie Boston's famous photograph of George Harris/Hibiscus placing the peace flower into the barrel of the MP's war rifle:

"America's Longest War: The United States and Vietnam, 1950-1975," Fourth Edition [I do not find the photo in the Third Edition], by George C. Herring (New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2002), p. 210 (Chapter 5, "On the Tiger's Back"; "The War at Home" section).

Caption reads as follows:

March on the Pentagon
This picture of an antiwar protestor placing a flower in the barrel of the rifle of a soldier guarding the Pentagon was taken during the March on the Pentagon in October, 1967, the largest antiwar demonstration to that time.  Bernie Boston Photography

FYI,

The Sib
--
Sibley J. Smith, Jr., Director of Education
Vietnam Era Educational Center at the