: [Mb-hair] A washingtonpost.com article from: [Bill Swiggard]

Sibley Smith sjsmith at njvvmf.org
Wed Jun 1 13:50:18 PDT 2005

Hey Bill,

Thanks for posting the article about the living military casualties of war.  This past Memorial Day, we inducted two more Vietnam Veterans in our "In Memory" program at the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.  The "In Memory" program honors those New Jersey Vietnam Veterans who have died since the war but due to war-related causes.  Just as the physical wounds can become unbearable, even after 30 years (such as with Lewis B. Puller Jr.), wounds not so easily perceivable to the outsider may eventually take their toll.  Most of the veterans honored by our "In Memory" program died either of the effects of Agent Orange poisoning or of PTSD, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (often, "self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the head" -- obviously the nightmares could be taken no longer).

Yeah, an early motto of the Vietnam Veterans Against the War was "Hate the War; Honor the Warrior."  I've got a bumper sticker that reads "Pro-Veteran; Anti-War."

And I dug meeting you and rapping with you in Bridgeport, Bill.  Let's do it again!

--TJ

==============================

Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:48:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: swiggard at comcast.net

 Personal Message:
 At our marvelous reunion in Bridgeport, the Mighty Tioga Joe said it best:  "hate the war, love the soldier". Amen, my friend...Enjoy -
Peace, Love, Happiness -
Bill

 Remember the Wounded

 By John Wheeler

 Eleven years ago Lewis B. Puller Jr., winner of a Pulitzer Prize for the book "Fortunate Son"  on his experiences as a Marine platoon commander who was severely wounded in Vietnam, took his own life. Puller had lost both legs and the use of his hands in the war. On May 11, 1994, he finally succumbed...

 To view the entire article, go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/29/AR2005052900913.html?referrer=emailarticle