[Mb-hair] Ted Neeley update

Gibson Vendettuoli johnlenonomusic at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 30 12:11:57 PDT 2005

All HAIR tribers who've been looking out for this JCS veteran, I'll bet you can't wait to see him
in what's next!

A good deal of you will remember Ted Neeley. He sang with the Teddy Neeley Five and had his own
album on Capitol Records in 1966. In 1968 or so, he was Claude in the Los Angeles production of
HAIR, and I am told he also played the role in New York. From there, he went on to JESUS CHRIST
SUPERSTAR as a Jesus understudy, and after taking the title role in the Los Angeles cast, he did a
run with a concert version of the Who's TOMMY and then did the JCS film for which he is now famed.
He did a few other runs of JCS in the 70s, but he was mainly known for TV and films (in particular
his appearance on STARSKY AND HUTCH in a three-part episode, not to mention his composition and
performance of the theme song for HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN, his appearance in the abandoned NBC pilot
McCLAREN'S RIDERS, his role as Curley in OF MICE AND MEN with Robert Blake, etc.). He also did a
seven-year national tour of JCS which grossed over $100 million, running from 1992 to 1998. Well,
he's not under a rock, and he's coming back looking for a place to play!

He just finished playing Lucky in WAITING FOR GODOT at the Rubicon Theatre Company BeckettFest in
California, and soon, he'll be off to play the lead role in a national tour of MAN OF LA MANCHA!
This should go well. In the past, he has also veered into playing a convict in MURDER IN THE
FIRST, and the title role of the eponymous Mad Monk in RASPUTIN: MIRACLES LIE IN THE EYE OF THE
BEHOLDER (also soon to have a premiere in Philadelphia at the Forrest Theatre, maybe with Ted,
featuring the Bolshoi Ballet!). Also soon to come is a reunion world tour of JCS featuring him as
Jesus to begin at the Vatican. Carl Anderson planned it before his death, and it will soon come to
pass.

Mr. Butler, I recall you asked me awhile back if I had Ted Neeley's e-mail address. I regretted
telling you that I did not have that information. Well, in case you don't know it now, I know
someone who does. Her name is Cindi and she has kept in contact with Ted for a while. Her e-mail
address is cverbelun at core.com if you wish to contact Ted.