[Mb-hair] Re: Current Productions

Leo peacefreak at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 26 17:20:21 PDT 2005

Ah Katie, the million dollar question! I've certainly had disgruntled actors
after the initial casting but that disgruntlement disappeared once
rehearsals got cranking. Although I don't feel a director has to explain
their casting decisions, sometimes it might help IF the actor is willing to
listen AND it was a directing decision based on "You absolutely nailed my
vision of _______ (fill in the blank) when you auditioned." as opposed to,
"Your singing range is weak." or something similar to that.
Actors are strange animals (I know cuz I'm one myself); some of them need to
be coddled - especially in community theater.
But HAIR is such a tremendous ensemble show. EVERYONE gets huge stage time.
It's not about the "lead" roles; it's about ensemble singing and acting and
camaraderie. The togetherness of the Tribe is the glue of a successful
production. Not one person is any more important than another. "We are all
one." If you can impress this upon the Tribe maybe your Woof will get the
message and understand that just being a part of HAIR is the ultimate
experience that any actor can ever have. I cast a guy who couldn't sing a
lick (he knew it) and couldn't dance to save his soul (he knew this also).
But when he came to audition he said, "I'll do anything I can just to be in
a production of HAIR." He was impassioned about it and that was all I needed
to know. I know it's tough Katie to impart this message early on; but, if
Woof can just hang in there and start to feel the joy and magic of HAIR,
that actor's ego will disolve and, when it's all over, he too will be
knowing how fortunate he was to be a part of the HAIR experience.
I can tell you're impassioned Katie and it's up to you to light that same
passion within your Woof. I just betcha your passion spills over anyway; it
sure does on this list!!!
That's all I've got for ya.

PEACE,
Leo