[Mb-hair] Re: segregated is a state of mind

Leo peacefreak at metrocast.net
Sat Jul 2 17:48:57 PDT 2005

Your words speak the truth T. Joe; that's also why I grew my hair and why
the title HAIR is so right on! HAIR (the musical and much more) represents
freedom and males growing their hair also represented the same freedom. The
freedom to break away from the constraints of mom, dad, apple pie, and all
"the brainwashed people". My long hair meant/means that I rejected the
A-typical societal values. It meant I wanna do my own thing. It meant screw
you Tricky Dicky & take a hike Hubert "Humphrey Dumphrey". And, like you, it
meant that I was siding with the freaks, the misfits, the black brothers &
sisters, and the drop outs. I know being a hippie is a state of mind, a
headset, and a free spirit. But it was groovy to grow that hair as a symbol
of THIS is what I represent mother fucker!!! My country, love it or change
it baby!! I'll split to Canada to shaft the draft but you won't make me
leave this country cuz I've got something to say and if I'm a royal pain in
one's ass while I'm saying it, so be it. HAIR spoke to the people and raised
the awareness of our cause to countless theatre goers. My hair also spoke
volumes about where I was coming from.
In the words of someone (whose name has eluded me at the moment), "Laugh
mister businessman; say my hair's too long. Say my clothes are dirty and my
principles are wrong. Laugh mister businessman who screams for law & order
and keep right on laughing cuz I'm balling your daughter!"
"Almost cut my hair; it happened just the other day. It was getting kinda
long. Guess you could say it was in my way. But I didn't and I wonder why.
Guess I feel like letting my freak flag fly and I feel like I owe it to
someone!" - CSNY
And Katie you keep on keeping on sister; it'll all happen just the way it's
supposed to as long as you continue to do the legwork.

PEACE,
Leo

From: "Sibley Smith" <sjsmith at njvvmf.org>
Subject: [Mb-hair] segregated is a state of mind

  ...................................Here's a take of mine on male's long
hair as a political symbol:  As Jimi Hendrix sang, "Let my Freak Flag fly,"
and as hippies were also known to themselves as "Freaks," I saw my long hair
as being (yes, among other things, too) a symbol that I was a friend of the
African American.  Blacks (as were any minority) were treated as if they
were freaks by America's established white society.  My long hair meant (to
me, anyway) that I was voluntarily being a freak to The Establishment.  I
was throwing my lot in with blacks, hispanics, bearded ladies, giants,
"little people," yeah, folks usually only relegated to the circus side show,
much in the way I see that Claude threw his lot in with the Draftee GIs sent
to 'Nam.  Long-Hairs were ostracized and hated by the Establishment no less
and maybe more so than were the average

 With love,

 Tioga