[Mb-hair] Re: segregated is a state of mind

Leo peacefreak at metrocast.net
Fri Jul 1 18:53:38 PDT 2005

> From: "Little Birdie" <lbirdie at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Mb-hair] segregated is a state of mind

......................... Perhaps a discussion with people about the fact
that being in a show is about acting and not about  getting up on stage and
being yourself. There are many roles in many shows where it is likely that
the actor playing that role doesn't agree with the position of the character
they are playing, or with the lines they have to say to portray that
character............................

 Love,
 Nina

I totally agree with Nina here; this is definitley a great approach.
To expound just a tad, I'm just a heterosexual guy but was cast as Sidney
Bruhl in DEATH TRAP. Part of that role entailed kissing a guy on the lips.
The director told me if I didn't want to do the kiss we could do a hug
instead. I thought about it for about a week cuz initially the idea bothered
me but I finally thought, "What the hell, I'm an actor playing a role. This
has nothing to do with my sexual preference or orientation. I've played a
pediphile, a murderer, a wife abuser, etc. I never had a problem playing any
of those roles; in fact, I never even thought about it. Why should
portraying a homosexaul (bi-sexual actually) bother me?" So we kept the kiss
and I think the production was more faithful and real because of it.
Viewed in this manner maybe the black brothers and sisters from the church
will rise to the occasion. Like Nina said you're not "being yourself".
BTW, I have many friends who are gay and I love em all so please don't read
anything into my message that's not there. Love is love! Nuff said.

PEACE,
Leo