[Mb-hair] My Oath to you1

Sherwin Ross sherwin at aceross.com
Mon Dec 12 09:02:56 PST 2005

Dear Tribe,

 A little girl went to her bedroom and pulled a glass
 jelly jar from its hiding place in the closet.
 She poured the change out on the floor and counted it
 carefully. Three times, even. The total had to be
 exactly perfect. No chance here for mistakes.

 Carefully placing the coins back in the jar and
 twisting on the cap, she slipped out the back door and made her
 way 6 blocks to Rexall's Drug Store with the big red Indian
 Chief sign above the door.

 She waited patiently for the pharmacist to give her
 some attention but he was too busy at this moment. Tess
 twisted her feet to make a scuffing noise. Nothing She
 cleared her throat with the most disgusting sound she could
 muster. No good. Finally, she took a quarter from her jar and
 banged it on the glass counter. That did it!

 "And what do you want?" the pharmacist asked in an
 annoyed tone of voice. I'm talking to my brother from
 Chicago whom I haven't seen in ages," he said without waiting for a
 reply to his question..

 "Well, I want to talk to you about my brother," Tess
 answered back in the same annoyed tone. "He's really, really
 sick... and I want to buy a miracle."

 "I beg your pardon?" said the pharmacist.
"His name is Andrew and he has something bad growing
 inside his head and my Daddy says only a miracle can save
 him now. So how much does a miracle cost?"

 "We do not sell miracles here, little girl. I'm sorry
 but I can't help you," the pharmacist said, softening a
 little. "Listen, I have the money to pay for it. If it isn't
 enough, I will get the rest. Just tell me how much it costs."

 The pharmacist's brother was a well dressed man. He
 stooped down and asked the little girl, "What kind of a
 miracle does your brother need?"

 "I don't know," Tess replied with her eyes welling
 up. I just know he is really sick and Mommy says he needs an
 operation. But my Daddy can't pay for it, so I want
 to use my money."

 "How much do you have?" asked the man from Chicago.

 "One dollar and eleven cents," Tess answered barely
 audibly.

 "And it's all the money I have, but I can get some
 more if I need to."

 "Well, what a coincidence," smiled the man. "A dollar
 and eleven cents---the exact price of a miracle for
 little brothers. "

 He took her money in one hand and with the other hand
 he grasped her mitten and said "Take me to where you
 live. I want to see your brother and meet your parents. Let's
 see if I have the miracle you need."

 That well dressed man was Dr. Carlton Armstrong, a
 surgeon, specializing in neuro-surgery. The operation was
 completed free of charge and it wasn't long until Andrew was
 home again and doing well.

 Mom and Dad were happily talking about the chain of
 events that had led them to this place.

 That surgery," her Mom whispered. "was a real miracle.
 I wonder how much it would have cost."

 Tess smiled. She knew exactly how much a miracle
 cost...one dollar and eleven cents.... plus the faith of a
 little child..

 In our lives, we never know how many miracles we will
 need..

 MY OATH TO YOU...
 When you are sad.....I will dry your tears.
 When you are scared.....I will comfort your fears.
 When you are worried.....I will give you hope.
 When you are confused.....I will help you cope.
 And when you are lost....And can't see the light, I
 shall be your beacon.....Shining ever so bright.

 This is my oath.....I pledge till the end.

 Why you may ask?.....Because you're my friend.

I love you,

Sherwin