[Mb-hair] Re: Re: REPLY TO VERY CONTROVERSIAL

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 9 08:45:03 PST 2005

dreamgrifter:

In case you are unaware, what you have stated is the summation of what is
called "Pascal's wager."  Pascal put forward four premises.  Simply stated
they are:

"If I believe in God and there is no God, no harm is done.  If I believe in
God and there is a God, no harm is done, and good may come.  If I do not
believe in God and there is no God, no harm is done.  If I do not believe in
God and there is a God, then harm may come.  Thus, in three out of four
cases, it is better (i.e., "safer") to believe in God than not to."

While this argument is certainly "logical" (which was Pascal's reason for
stating it, given that he was a logician, among other things), attempting to
"hedge one's bets" by following it is, unfortunately, not enough.

Even my atheist older brother (a philosophy professor) was able to explain
to my atheist younger brother (an amateur philosopher of sorts) why: because
if there is a God, He knows our HEARTS.  Thus, simply "believing" in Him -
i.e., stating such belief without "true, heartfelt faith" behind it - will
not fool Him, and thus our "wager" ("hedging our bet") will ultimately fail.

Peace.