[Mb-hair] This Makes One Think

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Fri Dec 2 18:46:21 PST 2005

------ Forwarded Message
From: Hawaiipolo at cs.com
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 21:36:35 EST
To: becca at hawaii.rr.com
Subject: (no subject)

I pass this on...John is the poet laureate of Samoa and an interesting
fellow...this was sent to me by North Shore based writer and archeologist
friend Joe
Kennedy..a powerful piece of writing...MD

My old friend John Enright has just published his latest set of poems under
the title On Turning Sixty. I got copy #5 of the "special secret cohort
edition."

I take the time to keyboard the masterpiece from this work. I was going to
pass along "A little stoned, a little drunk, a little late" which is very,
very good - but this one is better.

It is the Dawning of
the Age of Leviticus

America, I am so afraid for you
with your tobacco taliban
your airport no-joke zones
your fear and enclosure laws
your half cooked theocracy
and your declared state of war
on anyone who does not look
like you in the mirrors of
public bathrooms or the camera
eyes of your Republican god.

America, I am so sick for you
who wants to eat my children
calling them battalions and platoons,
who wants to suck the planet dry because it can, who can cancel
all futures to feed its own present obscene in its feasting on ignorance
obese from eating its own offspring
and then suckling itself on its own engorged and cancerous teats.

America, I am so ashamed for you.
You are just a drunken whore
asking for more, the child with a gun
in a high school classroom killing
anyone who reads, everyone who thinks.
You are the demigod that does not care
obedient to a power that is not there.
America, your mindlessness has become
the new definition of evil, but
what does that mean to you?
Nothing.

Joseph Kennedy
Principal Investigator
Archaeological Consultants of the Pacific

------ End of Forwarded Message