[Mb-hair] Just saw the Rent movie...

tiogajoe at juno.com tiogajoe at juno.com
Thu Dec 1 13:47:54 PST 2005

Well, I must say, Dauber, you've inspired me to make sure I see this flick.  My previous knowledge of the musical was like yours -- close to nil -- heard it was this generation's HAIR, etcetera.  But I haven't yet been swept away by the current media blitz for the movie.  your review did the trick for me.  I'll make sure I see it.  Thanks.

--Tioga

=======================================

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:13:03 -0500
From: Sean Courtney <dauber at banana-and-louie.org>

Just to give you my background and knowledge (well...LACK of knowledge!) of
Rent...

- I first heard of it in 1996 when I read a pretty bad review of the Chicago
production of Hair that Cal State/Fullerton put on that year. (That was the
first production of Hair that I ever saw, and trust me, it was absolutely
WONDERFUL.) I posted about it on Tracy Harris's message board, and someone
wrote something along the lines of "If that guy thinks Hair is so
outdated
[the reviewer complained several times of the dated feel of Hair -- in fact,
you can actually read the article in Nina's archive], why doesn't he shut up
and go see Rent?"

- And when I learned more about Rent, I was told there were a lot of Hair
parallels; some folks went so far as to say it was a Hair rip-off.

- However, I never actually got to see the show; actually, I never really
had the desire to. My wife saw the original Broadway production and said you
gotta see it, but only if Anthony Rapp is playing Mark. After Lisa finally
did see a production of Hair, she says she could definitely tell that there
was some Hair influence.

So...when they announced the Rent movie was going to be made, and with
pretty much everybody from the original Broadway cast reprising their roles,
Lisa was pretty gung ho about going to see it and she asked that I see it
with her.

Well...just got back a while ago...let me tell you...this is a MUST-SEE.
Wow....very profound...very powerful...

There were obviously some fans in the crowd, applauding at certain names
during the opening credits, applauding loudly when Jonathan Larson's name
comes on the screen....people singing along with the songs (but let me just
say...I really hope I never hear "Seasons Of Love" ever again -- I'm
so
bloody SICK of it!)....crying during the emotional scenes...

Were there some Hair things? A few...not a whole heck of a lot, though...but
wow...this was one damn good flick....

I can say no more....

dauber at banana-and-louie.org