[Mb-hair] Query Dearies...

Katie Kasben katiekasben at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 23:42:22 PDT 2005

So, a hopeful seed has been planted~

The Reid Center (a local black community centre) has agreed to let us
rehearse in their space.
this is huge.
There is a new director, and he doesn't know any of the local bullshit...and
also, he's a theatre guy!!!
I know some of you think the South is all scummy...but maybe that's why the
miracles here are more shiny. :)

And it seems like some of our dissenters are coming around to the vibe. yay.
  We are having a pre-cast party (bonding and character development in the
most fun way) at Justina's house (she sings Black Boys and has a tatoo of a
Phoenix, which is now our tribe name).

We came to our tribal name after going to see the outdoor drama, "Unto these
Hills" in Cherokee, NC.  We met with their cast afterwards, and almost all
of them where white. Interesting story.
But it leads me to my real question here for you all:

The way the tribe portrays Native Americans is SO stereotypical...and I know
(esp. for you HAIR purists) that it is a snapshot in history, and I've gone
over all sorts of arguments in my head...but maybe it's our proximity to the
reservation, and the work I hope to do with them in the future, but is there
any way I can make the "Indian" parts less offensive/cartoonish
I have some ideas, but I would appreciate your input.

Peace and much love,
Katie

ALOHA NUI LOA!