[Mb-hair] DOWNFALL- Bill sent this

ace ace at aceross.com
Tue Apr 26 17:48:25 PDT 2005

Thank you

-----Original Message-----
From: mb-hair-bounces at islandlists.com
[mailto:mb-hair-bounces at islandlists.com] On Behalf Of Michael Butler
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:40 PM
To: HAIR List
Subject: [Mb-hair] DOWNFALL- Bill sent this

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:55:59 -0400 (EDT)
From: swiggard at comcast.net
Subject: [Mb-civic] A washingtonpost.com article from:
    swiggard at comcast.net
To: mb-civic at islandlists.com

You have been sent this message from swiggard at comcast.net as a courtesy of
washingtonpost.com

 Evil's Willing Followers

 By Richard Cohen

  The extraordinary film "Downfall" is about the last days of Adolf Hitler
in his underground Berlin bunker. The German dictator killed himself 60
years ago this month (April 30, 1945), ending World War II in Europe and, of
course, the mass murder of civilians we now call the Holocaust. "Downfall"
is a powerful, engrossing film, much praised for showing the
often-caricatured Hitler as -- and I am quoting innumerable reviews here --
"a human being." It makes you wonder what, up until now, people thought he
was.

 In the movie, as in real life, Hitler is nice, considerate, thoughtful and
incredibly cruel. He is a mass of contradictions, devoid of conscience -- a
mass murderer who, as the Soviet army closes in and his situation gets more
and more hopeless, becomes increasingly irrational. He orders around army
divisions he no longer has and blames the German people for letting him
down. "If the German people fail this test," he says about turning back the
Russians, "I have no sympathy for them."

 It was the stated intention of the movie's director, Oliver Hirschbiegel,
to humanize Hitler and the others in the bunker with him, including his
vapid mistress, Eva Braun. "What I hope I've done is complete the picture of
what happened -- to make these characters whole in the mind of my
generation, so we can really see them as human beings -- granted,
horrendous, evil, ignorant and empty -- but still human, because we can't
learn from monsters," he said in one recent   interview.

 And so we learn that Hitler really was good to his dog, Blondi, and kind to
his secretaries, and solicitous toward the little Goebbels kids, all of whom
were murdered in their sleep by their mother, Magda, so they would be spared
life without Nazism. Later she and her husband, the propaganda minister,
Joseph Goebbels, concluded their own suicide pact. This is not cinema. This
is history. No, it is both.

 Frankly, I have never had a hard time humanizing Hitler. Ambition,
brutality, hatred, courage -- these are attributes we can all understand. We
have a piece of them in ourselves. Lesser sociopaths move around us all the
time. We read about them in the newspapers and see them on television. It is
not as if Hitler is something unique, unknown to history before, never
repeated afterward. He was a man, nothing more -- and someone like him will
come at us time and time again. He is the evil mutant of our imperfectible
species.

 The deeper mystery is the German people. There is, as one sharp historian
noted, "a whiff of 'victim culture' about the film" -- the characterization
of the Germans as victims of Hitler or, in some cases, of the rapacious
Russians. This is in line with some recent German writings in which the
inexcusable firebombings of Dresden and Hamburg are emphasized to show that
Germans were victims, too -- and the atrocities of the Red Army are cited to
explain the ferocity of the German resistance. These things happened, and
they no doubt played a role in the remarkable -- and remarkably scary --
German resistance. After all, Germans fought for Hitler to his death and
then, in a historic nanosecond, became remarkably good democrats. It is
easier to explain Hitler than to explain that.

 One man's madness, barbarity, charisma, boldness, courage and hatred -- all
qualities of Hitler -- are easy enough to explain and to find. But a whole
people's madness is a different story. That says more about us, and about
what we are capable of, than anything about Hitler. And when the people are
the people of Beethoven, when they provided the Jews among them with comfort
and even riches before murdering them, when you could go by bike from the
Weimar of the sublime Goethe to the Buchenwald of the cruel SS, then you are
talking of the inexplicable. This quality of the Germans during the Third
Reich, this quality of the Chinese during Mao's Great Leap Forward, this
quality of the Cambodians or the Rwandans or -- in 1937-38 -- the Japanese
in  Nanking, resides in us all. This, really, is the great lesson of
"Downfall" and of history itself.

 It is good to humanize Hitler because a man, after all, is all he ever was.
But once you strip him of any extraordinary powers, once he is reduced to
mere human being, you have to confront the fact that where he madly led,
people serenely followed. This -- not Hitler -- is what's chilling about
"Downfall." It amends Alexander Pope, who said that the proper study of
mankind is man. Yes. But the proper study of man is mankind.

 cohenr at washpost.com