[Mb-hair] Re- HAIR Nude scene

John Zuehlke jpzuehlke at prodigy.net
Sun Apr 24 21:57:01 PDT 2005

Richard,

I completely agree that the nude scene(s) can be done in a very beautiful and artistic way, and I have always been an advocate of utilizing the tool of nudity in more-, and more varied-, ways in theater. The lighting should be appropriate to the context of scene.

I also agree that "THE NUDE SCENE" was over-hyped and represented as more controversial than it was in the early HAiR productions. One should remember, though, that in the post World War II era, HAiR was the first work of musical theater on Broadway to feature nudity - and mixed-sex group nudity even! It was controversial.

Since my introduction to HAiR on stage was the Aquarius production in Los Angeles, I cannot say whether I would have experienced the nude scene as being "like gazing on nudes at the louvre". Unfortunately, my impression was that performed in a somewhat embarrassed, almost furtive, manner.

The point that I was trying to make in my previous posts is that in the United States of America, it currently would be quite foolhardy to allow any minors to participate in the nude in any production no matter how benign, artistic, relevant, or dimly-lit the scene is. Even in film, this is a dangerous area. By saying this, I am not saying that I agree that conditions should be so.

Blessed be with peace, love, freedom, and joy!
John