[Mb-hair] La MaMa

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:55:35 PDT 2005

Just back from NYC. Yes, it was a wonderful afternoon at LaMama; very
inspiring. Wonderful stories told, and so lovely to see such good friends,
some of whom I see regularly but some of whom I had not seen in 30 years. As
Michael said, the program started with Michael, Tom O'Horgan, and Jim Rado
on stage with Sally Kirkland. The all spoke for a while. It was great to see
Hair in the context of LaMama, and how it related to Tom's earlier work. To
hear about how it came to be, from the people who were there then. Then
director Chris Kapp brought the Hair alumni that were there up onto the
stage (Natalie Mosco, Robert I. Rubinsky, Marjorie LiPari, Michael Arian,
Dale Soules, Debbie Andrews, Robert Camuto, and Bill Swiggard) and they all
joined Jim, Michael, and Tom in an impromtu sing along on Aquarius and Frank
Mills. Some of them spoke of their Hair and LaMama memories, and then there
was a Q&A session during which we learned some facinating things, like the
fact that the lyrics of Frank Mills were taken directly from a letter to the
Village Voice at the time. The program ended with more singing, of the Flesh
Faliures and Let The Sunshine In. It was a great afternoon. In fact, as we
all stood around outside afterwards (wishing you hadn't left already, MB,
and that you weren't working Michael A!) we realized that we were nowhere
near ready to stop reminiscing, and wound up spending the next five hours,
first at Phebe's and then at our hotel room, catching up, reminiscing, and
looking through some AMAZING scrapbooks that Debbie had brought with her
(and which I am guarding with my life, Debbie!). The archivist in me wishes
I had had a tape recorder to record all the Hair memories that flowed around
the hotel room (someone has got to get Natalie Mosco to write down all her
Hair stories!), but will settle for the tape which hopefully will be coming
to the Archives, of the program itself, which, as Michael said, the did
record for Sally's TV show.

Also great was that list members Jeff Lunge, Richard Haase, and Iam Alterman
came! And great, as always. to see Mike Blaxill, Marc Cohen, and other
extended Hair family.

Chris Kapp and I spoke briefly about the possibilities of a large scale
reunion, perhaps in the fall, at LaMama - this was a such a special event
that it would be great to do it on a larger scale.

There was magic in the air at LaMama Saturday. It was so clear that hair
still holds such an amazing power, and speaks as clearly now as it did
almost 37 years ago!  It was wonderful to be a part of this event.

Nina

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html