[Mb-hair] A Few Questions

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:36:15 PDT 2005

Hi Joe, and welcome to the Hair list.

It would be hard to do a production of Hair without at least a small amount
of racial diversity in the cast. I have seen many productions that had only
a few people of color in the Tribe, and seen that work, although the
strongest productions are often those with a larger mix. There are songs and
lines in Hair that reference racial equality, and this is one of Hair's
messages. Even such simple lines as in Claude's hallucination when a black
man and a white man take each others arms and say "Black and white go nice
together, don't they?" would have to be cut or changed. Not to mention the
song Colored Spade.

Certain roles, and the songs those characters sing, are written specifically
to be played by African American actors and actresses, while others are not
specified. I have seen success with gender switching in the role of Hud.
Delores Hall understudied that role on Broadway, and was good when she
played it. Hud isn't necessarily a man, but he is most definitely black.
Your problem is not an uncommon one, sadly, and I believe some companies
have tried casting this role with a caucasian actor. I would have a hard
time thinking that could work, but perhaps others here who have struggled
with this situation can tell you more about it than I can, never having seen
it done.

There are other ways to fill in your company - perhaps you could open
auditions to faculty and staff? To people outside the school community
because of these special circumstances? I would strongly encourage you to
try and find some ethnic diversity if you are mounting a production of Hair.

I am not sure what you are asking in your last paragraph, when you speak of
vocal or gender switching. Do you mean to solve this problem, or in the show
in general?

Nina
The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html