[Mb-hair] Hair in San Diego

Jonathon Johnson goodhairdays at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 13:40:28 PDT 2005

Hi Tribe,

Hair at UCSD in San Diego was fantastic!

I was joined by Elizabeth Caveness and her wonderful son Jeremy. The performance we saw on Saturday was their 3rd and last. Students were in charge of the entire production and we all felt that they pretty much "got it."  Nothing was cut! Not even the nude scene! In fact, they slipped nakedness into a few other surprise places!  They did have a girl play Hud, yet a very talented young black man sang Colored Spade. She was good, but I would have preferred the young man totally handle the role. I'm not sure why the director chose to split the role. I was flattered when the director told me that before he started the project he chose to read Good Hair Days to get some background on the show. Everyone we spoke to in the cast was very moved by the show and didn't want it to end. Anyway, we all had a great time with a great bunch of kids. I'm sure Elizabeth may have more to add.

It sounds like we missed a super production in Bridgeport. If you go again, please give Julie my love. I leave Wednesday morning for 10 days in Italy. Maybe I'll run into another production of Hair over there ;).

Love ~ Jonathon

Good HAIR Days: A Personal Journey with the American Tribal Love-Rock Musical HAIR, by Jonathon Johnson. For more information on the book and how to order it, visit www.goodhairdays.net. Visit our other websites at www.uversa.net and www.kidstherapyassociates.com.