[Mb-hair] FW: Important Reminder - or a HOAX??

Martin Eayrs martin at eayrs.com
Thu Apr 7 13:45:10 PDT 2005

Dagmar/Michael

we have had a spate of this kind of thing recently in the UK, and
many Brits are a bit paranoid about it. Often someone leaves a phone
number by email or voicemail - you call or call back and get either
an answering machine or someone who speaks - or affects to speak -
very poor English - the idea simply to keep you connected as long as
possible at premium rate. And some premium rates can be VERY high.

Advice - never return calls unless you know the caller, and never
click on links from unknown mails that might lead to spoof sites.
And, Michael, I understand that the fact that you can see a URL in
the address bar of the browser is no guarantee that you are
necessarily on that site (go figure, it's beyond my skills).

i found a website at
http://www.uscg.mil/Legal/la/topics/consumer_and_contract_matters/ms_phone_scam.html
- assuming it's kosher ;-), maybe it'll be helpful. It does discuss
888 numbers, among other things.

Best to you all

Martin