[Mb-hair] Alice's Restaurant and HAIR

Walter Michael Harris wmichaelharris at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 27 16:10:33 PST 2004

A small HAIR connection with Alice's Restaurant:

The first time I heard of HAIR was from my friend, the actor Michael
McClanathan.  Mike and I had been in several plays at LaMaMa.  This was
late 1967 and he asked me to help him prepare for an audition for HAIR
(headed for Broadway at that point).  He gave me a copy of the RCA
off-Broadway album, and that's where I first heard the music.

Long story short - Mike and I both auditioned for HAIR, and I got the
nod.  He got a good job too, however - he was cast as Arlo Guthrie's
friend in the movie "Alice's Restaurant" right around the same time.

WMH

PS.  Happy Birthday, Michael!