[Mb-hair] Today

Jonathon Johnson goodhairdays at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 09:29:04 PST 2004

Nicely written. Let's send Bush back to Crawford.

Peace and Blessings ~ Jonathon

Jason Kane <jason at jasonkane.net> wrote:
Hey Everybody,

I know that I haven't made much of a secret of my political leanings lately, but I feel that I have to share what I witnessed this weekend and how it underlines how important our votes are today.

I spent the weekend in Toronto, on a mini-vacation that was much-needed and well-spent.  In listening to local radio, I was shocked at the level of free speech allowed on the airwaves.  My two friends and I kept saying "well, that'd never make it on the air in the States".  Not because they were shouting the "f-word" or anything, but because we couldn't imagine a radio station allowing someone to speak out against the current administration the way these artists were.

Our radio and TV stations, as well as the majority of our newspapers, are under the stranglehold of a handful of companies that cater to political interest groups and public officials.  Our neighbors up north enjoy much greater freedom of speech than we do.  Yet President Bush is constantly saying that we must spread democracy throughout the world.  What kind of democracy allows corporations to dictate content at the level the US does?  Do we want to perpetuate this across the globe?

Eight more soldiers died in Iraq on Saturday.  A Japanese backpacker was beheaded in Iraq and left in the street, wrapped in an American flag.  I know that no war is easy, but this was a war we did not need to get into.  Saddam Hussein was a bad guy, but the man who orchestrated 9/11 is still putting out more videos than Ashlee Simpson.

The popular vote is so important in this election.  I think the questions in the 2000 election stemmed from the fact that the popular vote was so close.  If you live in New York, or another non-battleground state, please don't think your vote isn't important.  A clear, decisive popular vote will make election challenges harder to present this time around.

If you're do live in a battlegournd state, and you're still considering pulling the lever for Bush, please think about how many times he's pulled our levers in the past four years.  Bush will not mend our strained relationships with our allies.  He will not put the working American ahead of corporate cronies.  I can't think of a single instance where he has proved otherwise.  Tony Blair's wife has spoken out against Bush's policies, as has Queen Elizabeth.  A poll in England this weekend shows that Kerry would defeat Bush in that country by a double-digit margin.  And this is from our "staunchest ally".

You don't have to love John Kerry.  You can even think he looks like Frankenstein's monster, if you want.  But please don't allow this President to spend four more years tearing down the goodwill the world was preparing to show us in a post-9/11 world.  I implore you to cast your ballot for John Kerry and John Edwards.  We need a "do-ver", and this is the only way we're going to get it.

If you've read this far and you still want to vote for Bush, I respect that.  Please cast your vote as well.  On Wednesday.  :)

Jason

Good HAIR Days: A Personal Journey with the American Tribal Love-Rock Musical HAIR, by Jonathon Johnson. For more information on the book and how to order it, visit www.goodhairdays.net. Visit our other websites at www.uversa.net and www.kidstherapyassociates.com.