[Mb-hair] Howard Zinn on WWII

Barbara Siomos barbarasiomos38 at webtv.net
Sun Jul 18 08:29:27 PDT 2004

    Dissent at the War Memorial
    By Howard Zinn
    The Progressive
    August 2004 Issue

    As I write this, the sounds of the World War II Memorial
celebration in Washington, D.C., are still in my head. I was invited by
the Smithsonian Institution to be on one of the panels, and the person
who called to invite me said that the theme would be "War Stories." I
told him that I would come, but not to tell "war stories," rather to
talk about World War II and its meaning for us today. Fine, he said.

    I made my way into a scene that looked like a movie set for
a Cecil B. DeMille extravaganza - huge tents pitched here and there,
hawkers with souvenirs, thousands of visitors, many of them clearly
World War II veterans, some in old uniforms, sporting military caps,
wearing their medals. In the tent designated for my panel, I joined my
fellow panelist, an African American woman who had served with the WACS
(Women's Army Corps) in World War II, and who would speak about her
personal experiences in a racially segregated army.

    I was introduced as a veteran of the Army Air Corps, a
bombardier who had flown combat missions over Europe in the last months
of the war. I wasn't sure how this audience would react to what I had to
say about the war, in that atmosphere of celebration, in the honoring of
the dead, in the glow of a great victory accompanied by countless acts
of military heroism.

    This, roughly, is what I said: "I'm here to honor the two
guys who were my closest buddies in the Air Corps - Joe Perry and Ed
Plotkin, both of whom were killed in the last weeks of the war. And to
honor all the others who died in that war. But I'm not here to honor war
itself. I'm not here to honor the men in Washington who send the young
to war. I'm certainly not here to honor those in authority who are now
waging an immoral war in Iraq."

    I went on: "World War II is not simply and purely a 'good
war.' It was accompanied by too many atrocities on our side - too many
bombings of civilian populations. There were too many betrayals of the
principles for which the war was supposed to have been fought.

    "Yes, World War II had a strong moral aspect to it - the
defeat of fascism. But I deeply resent the way the so-called good war
has been used to cast its glow over all the immoral wars we have fought
in the past fifty years: in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Grenada, Panama,
Iraq, Afghanistan. I certainly don't want our government to use the
triumphal excitement surrounding World War II to cover up the horrors
now taking place in Iraq.

    "I don't want to honor military heroism - that conceals too
much death and suffering. I want to honor those who all these years have
opposed the horror of war."

    The audience applauded. But I wasn't sure what that meant. I
knew I was going against the grain of orthodoxy, the romanticization of
the war in movies and television and now in the war memorial
celebrations in the nation's capital.

    There was a question-and-answer period. The first person to
walk up front was a veteran of World War II, wearing parts of his old
uniform. He spoke into the microphone: "I was wounded in World War II
and have a Purple Heart to show for it. If President Bush were here
right now I would throw that medal in his face."

    There was a moment of what I think was shock at the force of
his statement. Then applause. I wondered if I was seeing a phenomenon
that recurs often in society - when one voice speaks out against the
conventional wisdom, and is recognized as speaking truth, people are
drawn out of their previous silence.

    I was encouraged by the thought that it is possible to
challenge the standard glorification of the Second World War, and more
important, to refuse to allow it to give war a good name. I did not want
this celebration to make it easy for the American public to accept
whatever monstrous adventure is cooked up by the establishment in
Washington.

    More and more, I am finding that I am not the only veteran
of World War II who refuses to be corralled into justifying the wars of
today, drawing on the emotional and moral capital of World War II. There
are other veterans who do not want to overlook the moral complexity of
World War II: the imperial intentions of the Allies even as they
declared it a war against fascism, and for democracy; the deliberate
bombing of civilian populations to destroy the morale of the enemy.

    Paul Fussell was an infantry lieutenant who was badly
wounded while a platoon leader in France in World War II.
    "For the past fifty years the Allied war has been sanitized
and romanticized almost beyond recognition by the sentimental, the loony
patriotic, the ignorant, and the bloodthirsty," he wrote in Wartime.

    It was easier, after the end of World War II, to point to
its stupidities and cruelties in fiction rather than in a direct
onslaught on what was so universally acclaimed as "the good war." Thus,
Joseph Heller in Catch-22 captured the idiocy of military life, the
crass profiteering, the pointless bombings. And Kurt Vonnegut, in
Slaughterhouse-Five, brought to a large readership the awful story of
the bombing of Dresden.

    My own delayed criticism of the war - I had volunteered and
was an enthusiastic bombardier - began with reflecting about my
participation in the bombing of Royan. This was a small town on the
Atlantic coast of France, where several thousand German soldiers had
been overrun and were waiting for the war to end. Twelve hundred heavy
bombers flew over the vicinity of Royan and dropped napalm, killing
German soldiers and French civilians, destroying what was once a
beautiful little resort town.

    Recently, a man wrote to me who had heard me speak on the
radio about that bombing mission and said he was also on that mission.
After the war, he became a fireman, then a carpenter, and is now a
strong opponent of war. He told me of a friend of his who was also on
that mission, and who has been arrested many times in anti-war actions.
I was encouraged to hear that.

    World War II veterans get in touch with me from time to
time. One is Edward Wood Jr. of Denver, who upon hearing I was going to
be at the Washington Memorial, wrote to me: He said, "If I were there, I
would say: As a combat veteran of World War II, severely wounded in
France in 1944, never the man I might have been because of that wound, I
so wish that this memorial to World War II might have been made of more
than stone or marble. I mourn my generation's failures since its victory
in World War II . . . our legacy of incessant warfare in smaller nations
far from our borders."

    Another airman, Ken Norwood, was shot down on his tenth
mission over Europe, and spent a year as a prisoner of war in Germany.
He has written a memoir (unpublished, so far) which he says is
"intentionally an anti-war war story." Packed first into a box car, and
then forced to march for two weeks through Bavaria in the spring of
1945, Norwood saw the mangled corpses of the victims of Allied bombs,
the working class neighborhoods destroyed. All his experiences, he says,
"add to the harsh testimony about the futility and obscenity of war."

    The glorification of the "good war" persists on our
television and movie screens, in the press, in the pretentious speeches
by politicians. The more ugly the stories that come out of Iraq - the
bombing of civilians, the mutilation of children, the invasion of homes,
and now the torture of prisoners - the more urgent it is for our
government to try to crowd out all those images with the triumphant
stories of D-Day and World War II.

    Those who fought in that war are perhaps better able than
anyone to insist that whatever moral standing can be attached to that
war must not be used to turn our eyes away from Bush's atrocities in
Afghanistan and Iraq.