[Mb-hair] from one of the Biltmore architects

Walter Michael Harris wmichaelharris at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 21:14:15 PDT 2004

Dear cyber-Tribe,

I shared my reflection about visiting the Biltmore with the Biltmore
staff (including your responses to me) - and they shared it with one of
the architects.  His response refers to all of us - and reveals how
HAIR's transformative spirit was present in the heart and mind of at
least one person involved in the restoration.

WMH

***

Mr. Harris -

I just received a copy of your email from Erin Day at MTC.  I was one of the
architects for the restoration project.  I consider it my 'baby', if you
will allow me to call it that.  From Jan. 2002 through to opening day on
Oct. 15 (Nov. 6 officially), 2003, I saw it through the bulk of the
construction phase and process.  Of course, there are many others who gave
birth to that theater, but it holds a special place in my heart.  Like you,
I was transformed by it.  The transformation is obviously much different -
our vocations and the times are so different, oh so different - but the
spirit that encouraged that transformation is obviously still 'in the
house'.  It's such a part of me now and will be forever.  I was so moved by
your words.  Like others, my eyes teared and my head tingled as I read your
words and I am so touched that we were able to restore the theater in a
manner that was so well received by you and many others.  It's awesome that
you were so touched by it and I am very happy to hear that my favorite
Biltmore production pre-restoration can still call Biltmore 'home'.

Regards,

Lloyd L. DesBrisay AIA POLSHEK PARTNERSHIP ARCHITECTS