[Mb-hair] OKAY JUST GOT IT FROM RADO (re moon oysters)

Sibley Smith sjsmith at njvvmf.org
Tue Dec 28 14:06:15 PST 2004

Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:25:23 -0500
From: "richard haase" <hotprojects at nyc.rr.com>

A MOON OYSTER
REFERS TO SHELLS USED AS MUSICAL INSTUMENTS
JIMMY IS NOT SURE
IF THEY WERE RATTLED TOGETHER
OR IF IT WAS A SHALL YOU BLEW THROUGH
LIKE A CONCH

ALSO AS PER MY DRAMATURGICAL INSTINCTS
JIMMY SAID IT WAS A CONCEPTION THAT WAS
NEVER MATERIALIZED ONSTAGE

THERE ENDS THE MYSTERY

I say, let's go for it!

Take oyster shells (halves), drill a small hole for a string to go through near the ...hinge? (whatever you call it on an oyster).  Hang six or so, each from a string tied to a horizontal stick or a cross bar.  Tie one string to this to suspend it (hold it by this string), and you've got a set of chimes that makes an interesting clacking sound.  Mix that sound with the familiar ting-a-ling sound of brass chimes, throw in the drone sound of mantras chanted, and you've got quite a mystical audio treat going there, wouldn't cha say?

Until further notice (in case some other intriguing evidence manages to surface some time in the future), I say we go with moon oysters as being a rhythmic instrument (and nothing wrong with blowing conch shells either).

Thanks, Richard!

--Tioga